Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Just finished listening to this record. Had never heard about this project. It is a great record; liked it a lot. Great playing all around and with a really tasty feel on all the tunes. I like the rhythm section a lot, particularly the drummer. A little research showed that it is one of a series of three "Tribute To Wes M" records, each featuring a different set of guitar players. G-7 is the second in the series, and it has a Vol.2. I came across this for anyone who wants to know who is playing on each cut: Thanks, O-10.

https://www.discogs.com/Project-G-5-A-Tribute-To-Wes-Montgomery/release/7115516

Thank you Frogman, that's the exact information I was looking for; Mel Rhyne on organ adds so much to this project, that it's like Wes was on high overlooking it.

For my money, no other instrument can express so many nuances of emotion than the guitar, and when you add organ, all is complete.

Rok, I've discovered something that's extremely relevant to all of our "off thread" conversations; something I hope isn't true. It centers around the word "Kibuki" or to be correct "Kabuki Theater".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki

This centers around what the election drama has been alleged to be, and believe me, it is very important.

***** This centers around what the election drama has been alleged to be, and believe me, it is very important.*****

I don't get the connection to the recent election.  It is hard for me to stay focused on Japanese stuff.

What exactly does a record Producer do?

The only CD I have with CTI as the only label listed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjuCA-SsJM

I was shocked to see how much CTI and ECM I had on LP.  A Lifetime ago.

Cheers

My apologies Rok, it has absolutely nothing to do with "Japanese" theater, that's just a nickname they gave it, for being as phony as Japanese theater. I considered it to be a joke, but now I'm not so sure; there is a lot of theater, and it's for sure that's nothing to laugh about.

I bounced around on a lot of other threads to discover how many people on this forum were politically aware (informed), and I discovered next to zero. When you think about an "upper class" educated population of people who know next to nothing about what's going on in their own country, that's not good.

If there was anything "normal" about these times, I never would have brought these subjects up. I say "these" subjects, because there are many of them, and all relating to Washington DC. "All great empires crumbled from within". While that's not 100% true, it will be in this case.

You and I might be the only two people on this forum, that are even aware of the fact that at the very least, the citizens have to be concerned about what's going on in a Democracy, or it will cease to be a Democracy. When the attitude is "That's somebody else's job, not mine; my job is VTF, VTA and all that other "audiophile stuff". Well my job is "Jazz aficionado" but it also includes being an informed citizen, and when I know for a fact that something is drastically wrong, I wouldn't be a very good citizen if I didn't try to alert someone.

Actually Rok, "Saturday Night Raslin" would be a closer description than "Kabuki"; that's when they made all that noise in the ring, and went out for a drink together after the fight. Everybody has to pay more attention to what's going on.

On the subject of jazz, I liked that Freddie Hubbard; especially Hancock on piano. Most of the "offensive albums" were on the ECM label; they were the very good artists who decided to change drastically.

Enjoy the music.