Why are the Infinity IRS, Reference 1b, Beta ect speakers passive on the mids and highs?

I would like to know why all of the classic Infinity's and most other brands use passive crossovers for the mid to high transition? I don't think it was for cost and that level. Is passive better? Has anyone compared both to know which is better?
partroysound
One of my best friends on the planet is an old timer very respected figure in the audio world.  He uses a 12v crossover with a passive sub, of course, he modded it with some nice parts and built a fully regulated 12v supply, but it does a great job.  Years gone by, I worked for Orion. I've heard of few of their amps in home use and at one time I owned a stereo store,  we did 12v to high end...and there,  we tried a soundstream amp with some home gear... I've seen very respectable results mixing.... Never true hard core audiophile with the amps, but some truly respectable results.
Hi Timlub
I too am in the car audio business 36 years now. I have a 100 amp Audio Authority power supply. Lots of fun listening to a lot of car audio amps through the different speakers I have. There is quite a bit of difference among brands and models.
Marc
Oh Marc,  I haven't had a stereo store in 30 years.... even though I had a good run in 12v.  My roots have always been in the Audiophile world.
"Hi Russ69
Just curious. What did you move on to?"
Marc

Triangle Celius, Martin Logan, Magnepan, B&W.