Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Listen:

Chico Freeman -- DESTINY'S DANCE

I was sort of wary and apprehensive about this CD when deciding to buy it, having seen the word 'free' associated with some of the players, but then I noticed Wynton was on Trumpet.  Now I asked myself, could Wynton be involved something that was not real Jazz?  Nope, unless it was a duet with Miss battle.

I actually love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xv-EWHCscI  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRih07ksHDE 

Cheers

That was a great post, Rok.  I agree, biases are not necessarily a bad thing.  The key and hard part is to learn to recognize them; especially in ourselves.  

I was listening to Etta Jones, "Don't Go To Strangers" and it was sounding so good; that made me think of the fact that good music never gets old. I heard this in 65 for the first time, and it sounds just as good, if not better today, than when I heard it then.

Personnel: Etta Jones: vocals; Frank Wess: flute, tenor saxophone; Richard Wyands: piano; Skeeter Best: guitar; George Duvivier: bass; Roy Haynes: drums.

Not just the vocals, but every note was singing; that caused me to think about the musicians on that album; they are stellar. Sometime I don't listen to the musicians as much as I did today, but if you focus on the music, the album will sound even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLaJtXbpRg

Enjoy the music.

Rok, that was some real honest to goodness "New Music" Chico Freeman is so original; that's on order, and I know it will get a lot of repeat play.
No matter which bias we might have, there is something called 'Ethics'.

We are lucky enough that some great minds took lot of time and effort to come up with some principles. So, if you dont mind, I will post some, from one 'German guy.' (perhaps Rok new the dude.....joke)

Kant characterized the  ' Categorical Imperative', as an objective, rationally necessary and unconditional principle that we must always follow despite any natural desires or inclinations we may have to the contrary. All specific moral requirements, according to Kant, are justified by this principle, which means that all immoral actions are irrational because they violate the CI.

Furthermore, he describes two subsidary principles... The Universal Principle of Right, which governs issues about justice, rights and external acts that can be coercively enforced, holds that “Any action is right if it can coexist with everyone’s freedom in accordance with a universal law, or if on its maxim the freedom of choice of each can coexist with everyone’s freedom in accordance with a universal law”

The Supreme Principle of the Doctrine of Virtue, which governs questions about moral ends, attitudes, and virtue, requires us to “act in accordance with a maxim of ends that it can be a universal law for everyone to have”