Need Help Ripping My CD Collection

I want to get rid of my CD collection but I would still like digital copies of certain albums for when I can't stream Tidal. I was going to purchase an external SS drive to store them on. Can someone recommend a program intended for this application. Is FLAC still the recommended format for storing standard CD quality audio? I'm looking for the easiest solution that will give me CD quality files.Thanks for any help.
mkaes
Thanks for the input. I used Bluesound equipment throughout my house but don't want to spend that much on the Vault at this time. I'll check out Audacity, dbpoweramp and JRiver.

Should I spend the additional money on a SS drive or will a quality traditional drive work just as good?
It depends.  Some people claim that it makes difference for S/Pdif while it should make none for networking (Wi-Fi, Ethernet etc.).  
I use traditional external HD and it is very quiet.
Once ripped, please donate your CD's to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store. There are those of us who really love great music for under a buck. 
NOBODY would actually be able to "hear" (pick out in a listening test) the difference between hi-res files coming from a std. HD vs. a SS HD
Exact Audio Copy.  I was able to rip about a 1000 cds rapidly by adding 2 additional rom drives to my computer.  EAC allows you to have 3 instances running so one could rip 3 discs at a time.