Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Post removed 
Another of my favorites: Oscar Peterson and Buddy Defranco, two of the classiest jazz musicians to ever play the music of perhaps America's greatest composer.  The level of sophistication in Gershwin's compositions can be underappreciated because his music is so darn tuneful and easy to take in.  In this case it's music that at times comes dangerously close to being relegated to the label of Muzak by some listeners who make broad assumptions about the use of lush strings as part of this kind of musical aesthetic.  Buddy Defranco has always been my favorite jazz clarinetist.  Great jazz player and, imo, the most credible bebopper (check out "I Got Rhythm") to play the instrument; one which is usually more at home in a swing style.  He played with a beautiful and very suave tone unlike the "rough around the edges" tone of most jazz clarinetists.  Oscar Peterson is brilliant as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmUkM6sMc4Es7olBHxJ5jH98kqUp5S9ab

Frogman, I just found a new copy of "Desmond Blue", including cover, in my collection, and I thought I only had an old copy; the Saints are looking down and smiling on me today. Not only that, but I'm in the process of down loading vinyl. You gave me good luck.

Enjoy the music.
The brilliance of Gershwin cannot be overstated, even if you tried.  In fact, the music itself reduces these two greats to sidemen.

Beautiful CD.   Even the strings fit.

Cheers
***** Money and power were a nice combination when people like the Kennedy's had it,*****

This cries out for an explanation !!!  Unless of course someone stole my Kennedy check from my mailbox.

BTW, it's amazing how much money rich people in this country give away each year.   This is the only country like this.

The government cannot 'welfare' anyone up into the middle class.   If they could, why would anyone work?

Cheers