Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Those men worked in factories in order to send their kids to college, so that they would not have to work in factories;Time magazine named Moore one of the world's 100 most influential people.

Sounds like Mike's old man knew what he was doing.

The people who ripped off this entire country didn't even smell the gas that went into their fleets of automobiles; they used servants for that, and even had a special one for the "Rolls".

They were the people who paid for the government you think you elected. Those people told the politicians (they paid for) to tell the CFTC to look the other way while this country got "fleeced", and you kept a sharp eye on "Welfare cheats".

Rok, lets say the guy in Texas sells his gas to the Mercantile Exchange for $1.50 a gallon. The gas stations then buy this gas and charge $2.00 which is the cost of handling and profit; but the gas I'm talking about changed hands a time or two, between the front door and the back door, and left Mercantile costing $3.50. a gallon, and everybody paid $4.00 a gallon; what happened to the $1.50 that gas went up in price between the front door and the back door?

The same thing happened to all the commodities that went through those exchanges during that period of time; that includes everything we purchase to live. It cost the average family $200. dollars more a month to live; that included you. $200. dollars a month is a lot, or nothing a month depending on your income, but almost everybody paid it because nobody can live without food and gas.

When you multiply $200. dollars a month times every family in this country during that period of time, it comes to quite a bundle. Now you can see how "oligarchs" live so well, but you kept your eye on them "welfare cheats"; that should have saved a bundle when you reported them.  

Rok, personally I don't play that "Liberal", "Conservative" game; is the guy honest or dishonest. If the conservatives are my supposed enemies, I would much prefer an honest conservative to a dishonest Liberal; that name tag game is foolish.

Now I'm back to the music, and I promise that I'll review all music that has been submitted, which is quite a backlog.
Newbee, thanks for that; and Acman for the link. I had to chuckle when I read your post. I have an old Ford Explorer that we keep at our cabin in upstate NY. Last summer I loaded three brand new CDs into the cd changer as I headed out on an errand. That was the precise time that the cd changer decided to stop working, froze and would not eject. The last cd that I had loaded was the Buddy DeFranco/Dave McKenna. It was still stuck in the loading mechanism and after a lot of effort I was able to pry it out and scratched it so badly that it was unplayable. The others are still stuck in there. Long story short I had not replaced it nor listened to it until now. Great record! Buddy DeFranco sounds fantastic as usual as does McKenna; excellent and synergistic pairing and they seem to be really enjoying each other’s playing. It’s always amazing to hear a horn and piano duo generate so much rhythm and groove without bass and drums. Very tasty stuff. Thanks again.

Great player considered to be the one that took DeFranco’s bebop inspired clarinet style to the next level. This from an early recording before he went into more of a fusion/pop style. Perhaps the next level as far as technical prowess and more modern vocabulary, but to me, there’s no one quite like DeFranco. Still, great player:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfeoqVulAXg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTD5GCmj0I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdCFoReTSY