Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Bolero:

It was all said in jest. No one said Bolero was the most interesting piece of music. No one said these performances were the best ever. Is that the only piece of music you listen to, the most interesting?

If you didn't like them, fine. I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying them. Esp the one at the Proms. The audience went wild, the conductor was really into it. The dancers were, wow! But, to each his own.

The "complaining" comment was just messin' with you guys. But, if your response was all you have to say about the performances, you may have lost sight of the reason music exists.

And a better performance would be, " Mo' better magical!"

Cheers
When Ravel's Bolero opened in Paris, it almost caused a riot. I guess folks took their music more seriously back then. One woman shouted "this music was written by a madman". Ravel who was present, said to his friend, "she's right!!, There is no music in this music".

So much, for the people who should know. If it weren't for Bolero the guy would probably be unknown today. Similar situation with "1812". They are so arrogant. But, we unwashed masses, always set things right.

Maybe this is Mo' Better Magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsSALaDJuN4

Cheers

Frogman, while there aren't many contributors to this thread, the quality of their contributions is higher than any other thread I've been on. I would like to know how many hits a day there are on this thread. Some people are like parasites, they take what they can get out of a forum, but never contribute anything. If that's the case we're making musical contributions for the many, and proof of that would lie in the number of hits compared to the number of contributions.

We're all quite satisfied with your contributions and special expertise, as it has been stated. While I certainly have 0 intentions of going to music school, I'm thankful for what I learn from your contributions.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, let me tell you a tru story about slaves here and their drums. At first the boss man didn't mind, and the drums had catchy rhythms, but when somebody told him, "Hey boss man, did you know they could talk with them drums"? That changed things; from that time on, the drum was outlawed. The very next night, "I thought I told yall to stop beatn them damn drums"! How can you have African music without a drum?

Enjoy the music.