The awful truth about CDs, do they have the same shelve life as LP's ?

The answer is properly not. Recent studies have shown that the chemicals used in their manufacture of CDs have reduced their life expectancy to ten years, not all but many, as per Paul Mcgowans email. The suggestion was given that if you have suspect CD's they should be re-copied. But my question is how do you identify these? I can tell you that I have a great deal of LPs and I can play anyone of these with great success and some are 40 years old. This no doubt would give some audiophiles another good reason to hold onto their belief that LPs are the way to go.
phd
CDs in my collection, that I've had since the 80s, still play and sound very well, but they have always been stored and handled with great care. I have had several CDRs go bad over the years, even though getting the same care and handling. I have LPs from the 60s, 70s and 80s that still sound great.
I too believe the industry is pushing to move us away from CDs and into streaming  and downloads. I'm afraid that, like analogue LPs, CDs will become harder to find and and more expensive to buy. Being a hands on person and not having much interest in the download craze, I'm hoping that CDs, as well as the analogue comeback, will hang on for some time yet.
Jim
 This whole BS scare tactic began back when one manufacturer messed up the finishing process on a specific number of discs that were eventually exchanged and replaced. Notice we haven't heard about this for many years until the OP heard what Paul Mc Gowan said and  posted it. 
They could last a million years, but they’ll still sound shrill and lifeless. Enjoy.