Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Slavery hasn't ended, it's still here in the form of it's descendants; those people in the inner city whose parents were uneducated and illiterate; consequently they were born behind the 8 ball.

John F. Kennedy realized there are two things every human being needs; that's a job and education in order to be more qualified for a job; his philosophy was assassinated 54 years ago. People with those items on their resume rarely wind up on the evening news.

It's not about race, it's about "opportunity" and who a person's parents were; people whose parents were educated value an education, therefore they are unlikely to wind up in the crime statistics because they generally have a career.

If anyone wants to understand the South, Flannery O Conner is a good place to start; Mary Flannery O'Connor was an American writer and essayist. An important voice in American literature, she wrote two novels and thirty-two short stories, as well as a number of reviews and commentaries. Born: March 25, 1925, Savannah, GA Died: August 3, 1964, Milledgeville, GA
Short stories: A Good Man Is Hard to Find, Good Country People, National Book Award for Fiction

She was born, lived her entire long life in the South, and died in the South; everything she wrote was related to the South.

It's 100% impossible to understand the inner city without understanding the South, because that's where the inner city came from.

This post is about "sociology", which is one of the subjects I studied; that science regards large numbers of people in specific groupings, as opposed to the black guy on the evening news who robbed the candy store.

I would appreciate it if you ignored this post as opposed to running to the moderator and declaring it "inflamatory".

Fourwinds, since this thread began we have discussed more than jazz, and probably will continue to do so in the future; however, we feel we can walk and chew gum at the same time. Since this is one of the more enlightened threads in regard to jazz, one can take the option of totally ignoring off topic posts, and simply respond to those relating to jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jdbFOidds

Swing with it.

Frogman, there is no such thing as "jazz" that one can refer to in any meaningful way; latin jazz, acid jazz, dixie land jazz, and on and on; what are you referring to?

I consider Charley Parker as "The Creator" of my kind of jazz. "Birds" racial lineage is mixed up with who knows what? Therefore you can not attribute any factor regarding "Bird" to Africa, other than the color of his skin, and when you discover there are some black people who are more Caucasian, than some white people, color of skin really gets flakey.
Everything that I am referring to is musicological and there is a tremendous amount written on the subject and it frankly always surprises me that there is so much misunderstanding about this. I understand that you feel "your kind" of jazz began with Parker, but to suggest that he "created it" (bebop) without the lineage of influence that preceded it, all the way back to Africa and other places, is simply scratching the surface of the reality of it all.

Frogman, since I am not a musician, you are going to speak a language that I have no comprehension of, and submit that as your proof, when it's for sure I can't refute it. I stand by what I hear and consider that as proof.

"Bebop" is a long way from Africa according to my ears.
What did not survive slavery:

Language
Religion
Social Mores and customs
Music 
History
Culture in General

What did survive slavery:
Bebop

Cheers

Btw, think how nice it would have been if those slaves had been playing Fusion in Africa.   We could have lost that crap also.