Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Glad to see the interest in this music. Honest question: I would genuinely like to know how it is that some of you process the obvious fact that, probably without exception, every respected jazz historian and musicologist believes and has written about jazz’ roots in African (and others) cultures? Or, the fact that most jazz musicians believe this firmly? The fact that a tremendous amount of information has been provided to show the link? Aren’t you the least bit curious as to what is behind all this? Have you read anything on the subject? Just wondering.

"Christo Redentor" is one of the most beautiful tunes I have ever heard, and I can still remember the first time I heard it. Just the other night, while searching for LP's to down-load, I discovered a new copy; was I elated.

It was so long ago that I don't remember when, but if I saw a new copy of one of my worn out collectors albums, I replaced it, and Donald Byrd's new perspective was just such an album.

I am enjoying the music.
***** the obvious fact that, probably without exception, every respected jazz historian and musicologist believes and has written about jazz’ roots in African (and others) cultures?*****

It may be a FACT that they believe and write this, it is not a FACT that it's true.

***** Or, the fact that most jazz musicians believe this firmly? *****

Jazz musicians should stay in their lanes.   They are not historians.   What gives them any special insight into Africa?

*****  Aren’t you the least bit curious as to what is behind all this? Have you read anything on the subject? Just wondering.

I KNOW what's behind all this.   Liberal BS.   They are doing three things, (1) all their minions on the democratic/liberal plantation, just love the idea of ANYTHING positive having an African origin.  Makes them and the Africans feel better about themselves.
(2) Most of the slaves on the democratic/liberal plantation just think that saying ANYTHING is from Africa, is just so freaking cool.   It gives them a connection to their "old country" that does not, and never did exist.  No one wants to say Jazz originated in Mississippi.   It's as simple as that.
(3) they are saying to Africa-Americans that you did not create this wonderful music, you have not created anything, in fact it was created by some bush people in Africa.  It's not that such a much.  This slams the music and the people at the same time, while appearing to be their friend.

Two words of advise:
(1)Never believe ANYTHING written, about black folks, by white folks.
(2)Never believe ANYTHING written, about black folks, by black folks.
Follow these two words of wisdom and you can't go wrong.  Everyone has an agenda, and it ain't the truth.

And last but not least:
*****  The fact that a tremendous amount of information has been provided to show the link?*****

Please, Please, enlighten us with some of this information and some of these so-called links.

Next question.

Cheers

Frogman, I only believe what I hear, and I don't hear anything "African" in "Birds" bebop.

I think since the music was developed primarily by "African Americans" it has to have some African quality in it, but I can't hear it in bebop.

People have the ability to connect the dots in strange ways when they want to.