Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** Transport any or all of the players involved in these Jazz ’interviews’ to present day America, and you get an entirely different answer to all the questions. ****

Wrong. What they talked about is as accepted today just as it was back then. You must have missed this; from your own Wynton:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5nU82xdMjA

**** What about racism and segregation in NYC? ****

Huh? Oh, you must be referring to the ironies of ironies of a few years ago: Wynton was threatened with lawsuits for wanting to fire all the white players in his LC band in order to have an all black band.

The issue being discussed here is not slavery or racism. IT IS THE DEVELOPENT AND EVOLUTION OF AN ART FORM. The shame is that understanding this is one of the keys to becoming better listeners. I know, I know..... oh, well. It remains as much a mystery today as it did four years ago (!) why someone can prefer to continue in a fantasy "reality" about something they purport to love so much in spite of so much opposing data and informed commentary.
My last word.  

Wynton said, when interviewed for the Ken Burns 'Jazz' project:
"when you are talking about Jazz, you are talking about Race."

You will never get it, so lets move on.

Cheers

Shubert, is that really you? Where have you been? I'm glad what I heard isn't true.

I know you've been abroad, why don't you tell us all about it.
Rok, why do you dance around this issue? The worst racist is he who sees racism around every corner. Now, no one is suggesting that race doesn’t have an important role in the history of jazz. But, what is at issue here is whether and how THAT VERY RACE is reflected in the music. You are contradicting yourself and don’t seem to know it. Put aside what he said to Ken Burns for a moment. How do you explain away what he said in the clip I posted? More importantly, why can't you see anything good in (your?) African heritage? Before you jump all over this last question, go over some of what you have written.

Jazz is an art form that branched out like the many headed "Hydra"; acid jazz, fusion jazz, world jazz, low jazz, high jazz, slow jazz, fast jazz, smooth jazz, rough jazz; you name it jazz, and on and on; consequently, no one can make a statement about jazz, unless they specify which jazz, now we can add "congo square jazz".