Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I think his moon went into the outhouse instead of the seventh house.

That would explain a lot. :)

Cheers
Pure class.  I have no doubt you know all about that subject.  If it weren't all so pathetic I might thank you guys for making it so easy.

One thing is for certain, whether it's old jazz, or old Cuban, it's old school for me. Maybe old Cuban music will get on the good side of Frogman.

Gonzalo Rubalcaba, is he old school or new school? Did we ever close the case on Africa? I am going to have to start keeping a notebook.

Here's the real deal from Cuba; frogman has the floor, who did what, did somebody teach the Cubans how to play? This music is just too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYBCVZk_idM&t=213s

Which reminds me of this documentary I was looking at on South Africa; they discovered some artwork, they said had to have come from another planet because native South Africans were not capable. I say the old Europeans hit up on time and space  travel, and did it before the New Europeans discovered South Africa.

Rok, Frogman has the floor, and we are going to listen and learn.
Sun Cubano:

Love it.   Very nice post.   I can hear Spain, Africa and Cuba.   Spain because of the singing style.   Africa because of the percussion, and Cuba because we won't hear anything like this that is native to Spain or Africa, so it's gotta be of Cuban origin.

When I hear the Blues, Gospel, Spirituals and Jazz, I hear the USA, primarily, the Southern USA.  Ain't nothing like it anywhere else.

Cheers

When I hear the Blues, Gospel, Spirituals and Jazz, I hear the USA, primarily, the Southern USA. Ain't nothing like it anywhere else.

Rok, this is what I heard as a child, nothing has changed. Most Blacks are from the South and I don't mean South Africa.

This Cuban music contains the best elements of Africa and Spain; presently, I don't like either one of them undiluted; but they came up with the right combination here. You won't find music this good in Spain or Africa.

I remember when they told me that stuff Ricky Ricardo on the Lucy show was playing was Cuban music. Why did they have to throw "Hollywood" in everybody's music?

One of my favorite old movies is "The Casbah". Katherine Dunham has the part of "Odette" in this movie, and they paid her for this dance thing, which is funny, because I've seen her dance troupe, and I know she didn't tell them to do anything like that.

What's funny Rok, is that although they paid her, they never used her choreography; in the end, they always used whatever funny steps hollywood prescribed. Back then, as long as they got paid, who cared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LASYzcH67F0

This stuff is really funny when we can use our PC to go back in time.

Enjoy the music.