Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Bird:
Love these clips, but I don't think the strings added anything.  I guess the 'Authorities' wanted to make Bird mo'better.

Never knew there was a video of this.   Music of Thomas 'Fats' Waller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE8_MxJCsqg

Fabulous music.

Cheers
I suppose I should be glad that you guys finally had the good sense to concede 😔; but, as always, it's too bad that you perceive the opportunity to learn something new as a "fight" or "argument".  

Who was it that often said, "Lord, lord, my burden is great"? ☺️

Well, "Lord, lord, my burden is great"; more fake musicology.  While it is true that Bird was a leading exponent of bebop and probably the greatest, he was far from "the only one who could do it" and not the first to move in that direction musically.  In fact, he was not the first to lead a bebop recording session; Coleman Hawkins was.  In fact, in was Hawkins' 1939 recording of "Body And Soul" that "cracked the door" into the bebop "room".

In the early 40's  bebop was taking shape and being molded by the musical experimentations and contributions of several players who were coming out of the swing tradition and who sought to move the music forward with a much more sophisticated harmonic palette and emphasis on improvisation with great technical virtuosity.   Bird certainly distinguished himself as probably the greatest exponent of the style, but to suggest that he was a lone voice is not true at all.  An interesting footnote about this period in jazz, and one very unfortunate and ironic one at that, is that due to a two year long (1942-44?) musicians' union strike during which all recording was prohibited, there are no (formal) documents of the most important years in the music's development.  This is one of the reasons that so many of Bird's recordings have poor sound quality; they were bootleg recordings.  These particulars may not matter to some who want to keep their personal heroes on a unrealistic pedestal, but they truly are important to understanding and having an honest grasp of the evolution of this great music.  I am not a huge fan of Wiki as a source of definitive information, but this is one of the best Wiki entries that I've read and is recommended for anyone who wants a more comprehensive look at what was going on at the time of bebop' birth:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebop

Btw, "Bird With Strings" (great record and thanks for the clip, O-10) was born out of Bird's deep interest in Classical music; Igor Stravinsky and Bartok in particular.  He really wanted to record with a string section and blend elements of Jazz and of Classical.

O-10, the following is not intended to provoke nor prolong any "argument", but to try to clarify (again) and hopefully pave the way to better and less contentious interaction on this thread.  Contrary to your assertions, your comments about my motivations are off the mark.  Let me put it this way and hopefully this will clarify where I'm coming from:  I have no interest in "impressing" anyone nor win arguments.  How can I say this?  Because nothing I write or have written is anything new, revelatory, nor particularly interesting to anyone who has a truly indepth knowledge of this stuff.  It is all out there to read and learn for anyone who has the interest and curiosity to do so.  As I have said before, try speaking to someone like Billy Taylor or Wynton about this stuff; their level of knowledge and perspective is awe inspiring.  Food for thought....hopefully.

When it comes to Cuban music, I can not say enough good things about this CD, "Afro-Cuban All-Stars" it covers "Son" which is Afro Cuban music combined in perfect proportion like a perfect cooking recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODWcrncnUU

Although we went here once, I would like to go again; I'm sure you will find it very rewarding.

Enjoying exquisite music is like enjoying a perfect recipe. I was in Atlanta for a time and discovered a place where they had perfect "bouillabaisse"; every time I went there, having the same dish was an experience, and I had it every day, savoring each spoonful. Nowhere since, have I been able to repeat that experience.

I compare listening to "Son" equivalent to that experience; take your time and let each beat soak in; this music is so perfect; while it says Afro-Cuban, the two are combined to become one, which means you would have to mash the two words together in order to describe it.

This music inspires thoughts of Caribbean fantasy's; one of them I actually lived, but living fantasy's can shorten your life span, they are best left in the realm of fantasies.

Enjoy the music.
Post removed