Too Much Power?

I have a question that relates to the maximum power output of new Bel Canto Ref 600M monoblocks, which I am considering to replace the Audio Research 150.2 SS amp I am currently using in my main system. (Yes I am another of the "lunatic fringe" who enjoys the results of good quality Class D.)

The Ref 600Ms are  based on a Hypex Ncore module, and are stated to produce a maximum power output each of 300W into 8 ohms.  My question  is whether this can prove to be a problem in powering my Focal Alto Utopia Be speakers, which are stated to have a "maximum" power handling capacity of 250W each (their nominal impedance being 8 ohms).

I listen to mostly classical instrumental and vocal music and other acoustic instrumental music, and do not listen at particularly loud levels:  the ARC 150.2 is rated at 150W per channel into 8 ohms and it has never in 10 years appeared to go even close to its limits; I rarely if ever  turn up the volume control on my ARC LS-25 past the 11:00 o'clock position.

Should I be concerned about the Bel Cantos damaging the Utopias, given the speakers' 250W per channel maximum capacity and the 300W per channel output potential of these amps?  The Be tweeter and other components of these speakers can be very expensive to have to repair, not to mention the inconvenience and aggravation which I really do not need. 

Thanks in  advance for any thoughts or advice on this.

northernfox

Hi Northernfox, one option, somewhat less expensive than Veritas, are the Theta Prometheus monos. Like Veritas they are based on the full NCore NC1200 modules, but instead of the NC1200/700 SMPS, Theta has designed its own power supply... I believe it be a toroidal design. Unless things have changed, Prometheus may be priced at $9K / pair.

I have not tried them... Given the different power supply design, they are bound to sound a little different from Veritas, but I do not know if I would necessarily prefer one over the other.

Saluti, G.

BO said...

"

Most people have no idea about the properties of an amp, source, cable, loudspeaker etc." 

I am not sure what "most people" know about the above.... I only know what I have experienced in some 60 years of making and listening to acoustic music... Live and recorded alike.

In the last few years, I gradually formed a more than positive opinion of certain class D amp designs, particularly those based on NCore, Pascal M-Pro2, and even some classic ICEpower. In particular, I have experienced the staging, imaging, and timbral resolution and emotional engagement of NCore to be exceptional.

Have I listened to Pass and Krell? Sure, many times.... Really nice amps... Yet this far I have prefered the aforementioned NCore and Pascal based amps.... But I keep an open mind... The future is, of course -- in the oft unpredictable hands of Gaia *Grins!*

G.

Go for it. Having lots of power means you can hear yr stereo clean at low volumes & you will be surprised how recordings you once did not rate sound much much better. 
Sfall nailed it.  Never worry about too much power.  It is not having enough that kills speakers.

Use the volume control to smoothly deliver the power and your ears will tell you when your speakers are at their limits.
Some may consider my present situation off the subject, but then again it may not be.  I am driving an Stax SR5 electrostatic pair of headphones with a 160watt per channel Rega Osiris integrated amplifier.  I am using a Stax SRD6 energizer box.  I have found over the years that the Stax's own amplifiers, whether solid state or tube to not have enough power to adequatly run rock and roll.  That is a fact, which is the main failure of using an entire Stax system.  I have previously used a 50 watt per channel Audio Research integrated amplifier, but again, for rock and roll the 160 watts on my Rega is overall the best combination.  Again, even for Stax headphones, evrything else being equal, more power is better.  And it is much easier to damage a Stax electrostatic headphone using an underpowered amplifier than one with "too much power".  And finally, I can turn the volume up to a much higher level with more power dur to the fact that, using true quality electronics, the amount of distortion goes way, way down.  Yes, it is distortion itself which is the main factor in damaging a speaker system.  Yes, either regular speakers, or Stax headphones.