Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, you and I both have shortcomings we'll have to live with, and accept. You have Attention Deficit Disorder, and I'm allergic to what I call "High Class Culture". You just go with the flow, and make your usual contributions; country by country sounds good. I'll wait for Acman's input, sum it all up, and lead the parade.

Enjoy the music.
Our first stop on the OP's road to internationalize OUR precious music.

Today we will explore the history of Jazz in that Hotbed of Bebop, Finland! Listen to the youtube before you sneer.

Read the link to "The History of Jazz in Finland", then listen to the music link. They have come a long way. I could buy this CD. Very Good IMHO.

http://www.jazzpoparkisto.net/finnish_jazz.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ClOE_idE4

Cheers
O-10, I am sorry to say ,I know very little about African jazz. I am a huge Dollar Brand/ Abdullah Ibrihim fan. I still have not found time to even research the issue of African jazz.

Things are settling in a little, and it seems like an interesting topic, but I can't guarantee anything in the next few days. Do what you thick is best.

Acman, your post is exactly what I was expecting. After my last move, none of my tube gear was working. Previously, I had sold an Audiolab preamp, and the guy I sold it to, said there was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't quite suite his taste, and asked for his money back; I obliged and that turned out most fortuitous, because it was the only thing working after the move.

Do what you can when you can, we'll understand.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, since you took Finland, I'll take Norway, and begin with "Terje Rypdal". He was born 23 August 1947 in Oslo, Norway, is a Norwegian guitarist and composer. Most of his music has been released on albums of the German record label ECM. Rypdal has collaborated both as a guitarist and as a composer with other ECM artists such as Ketil Bjørnstad and David Darling. Over the years, he has been an important member in the Norwegian jazz community.

The son of a composer and orchestra leader, Rypdal studied classical piano and trumpet as a child, and then taught himself to play guitar as he entered his teens. Starting out as a Hank Marvin-influenced rock guitarist with The Vanguards, Rypdal turned towards jazz in 1968 and joined Jan Garbarek's group and later George Russell's sextet and orchestra. An important step towards international attention was his participation in the free jazz festival in Baden-Baden, Germany in 1969, where he was part of a band led by Lester Bowie. During his musical studies at Oslo university and conservatory, he led the orchestra of the Norwegian version of the musical Hair. He has often been recorded on the ECM record label, both jazz-oriented material and classical compositions.

His compositions "Last Nite" and "Mystery Man" were featured in the Michael Mann film Heat, and included on the soundtrack of the same name.

Since I recently broke a stylus, I can't review what I have on my ECM albums, but here's what I found on You tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiZ6YuIrj54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttBw2tcrB0

This music refreshed my memory of Terje; I'll let you comment first.

Enjoy the music.