Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean
Post removed 
Not sure I would go that far, but definitely $500 or under the CL-2's would be extremely hard to beat. My Lore Reference at $750 sound better, but they are also an incredible bargain.
I'm setting up my first hifi turntable system and am planning to get the ELAC UB5s and an integrated amp.  Will the REGA Brio be powerful enough for these speakers?  Would I be better off with the more powerful Rogue Audio Sphinx V2? 

Thanks,
Chris
 Jay15206,

I saw your response just now, sorry for the delay.  I have 2 pair of B&W Matrix 805.  One bought many, many years ago for $750, and the second pair more recently, alas, I can not find my auction for the most recent. I do buy with Esnipe, and I am patient.  I also have a pair of HTM, the horizontal version of the Matrix 805.  I bought them one at a time as they are often sold that way. I bought the first to scavenge for parts for my 805 that I thought was damaged, in fact, once I got it down off the high shelf, it was a loose cable!  So, I bought a second for a bedroom small system.  The most recent HTM I did find on my Ebay auction list, it was purchased for $250.

Looking at Ebay, at completed, or sold auctions, I do find the following:
Matrix 805 pairs:  3/18 $525, 2/26 $499, 2/18 $550, 1/29 $601, 1/25 $540, 1/15 $575 etc...
Matrix HTM single: 3/24 $349, 2/27 $210, 2/19 $260, 2/10 199.

In fact, I follow the prices closely as the old Matrix series has great value.  I have also a pair of 804s, 3 of the 802's I've used for LCR for years in HT set up.

I would break even selling my pair of HTM for $500 plus shipping I think, but I love them!

(Fed by an Oppo 105 direct into a Bryston 3B ST, or, occasionally into a Bryston XLR 10B with bass going to a PCS-8 from B&W, all driven by a Bryston 5B ST.)

xyobgyn:

"B&W Matrix 805 used

Used is about $500, and will retain that value for some time. Remarkably hard to beat for $500"

The only ones I've seen for sale recently ran $795 unless they were seriously damaged. There's a pair without tweeters for $395 on eBay, $749 for a pair in which two front clips on tweeter housings were broken and glued back on.

There was a pair on Audiogon for $795 IIRC a week or two back. I guess they sold for that amount, as I no longer see them when I search. There's even a guy who's had a pair for $995 on US Audio Mart since September.

If you have a pair you'd like to sell for $500, xyobgyn, please let me know.

Go ahead and laugh , Right set up the Bose 301 and give time to break in. They make and sell ten thousand a day