Get my turntable fixed or buy a new one?

Here's the situation.  In 1988 when turntables were dissapearing I bought a Thorens TD-320 for $600 that included a signet cartridge.   It has served me well over the years.  It was In Storage for about four years along with the rest of my system.  I recently unpacked everything, hooked it up and found that the turntable wasn't working.  I am faced with this dilemma, I can probably get the Thorens fixed.  Found some guys in the Philly area that work on them.  On the other hand it's almost 30 years old.  Is it worth getting it fixed or should I get a new one.  If you vote for new, give me some ideas as to what brands and models you would recommend of comparable quality.

My current system includes:

Krell KRC-3 pre, Krell KSA 200S amp, Parasound Z-Phono phono pre, Revel Performance F32 speakers and Ayre CD Player
128x128pipebro
Pipebro - I think the question that you should ask yourself is - how serious are you about TT's and vinyl???

If it's just to play existing albums - then my vote is to get your existing TT fixed and add a new cartridge like noromance suggests above

If you have been bitten by the vinyl bug - then go for a new TT/cartridge/phono stage - but that will probably cost you more than your budget.

My preference right now (if I had to replace my TT) would be a VPI - although the SOTA is a very nice option also.

I am a long time Rega user, but it's taken 35 years and many  $$$UPGRADES to get it to the point where I am happy with it - so Rega does not get my vote these days, especially when there are several  options available that appear to be "less work"

I got the bitten by the bug...
- Started with the Rega Planar II + many upgrades = $$$
- My cartridge is a Soundsmith rebuild of the Denon DL103 MC
- The arm is the Audiomods Classic Series II
- The Phono stage is the MOON LP5.3 RS

So it really depends on what your end goal is.

Having said that your TT is a "classic" and capable of providing great sound - with the right cartridge/phono stage combo.

I would set a budget for the repair (e.g. $400) and if the guys that work on them fall within that budget I would be tempted to go that direction first. It will give you some "breathing space" to determine the answer to the question above.

You can also take time to investigate and "upgrades" that may be available for that turntable

You will also have a working TT that can be sold later to "collectors" :-)

Hope this helps - Steve
Thanks for the response.  It was very helpful.  Everybody's definition of "Serious" is probably different.  I bought my first album in 1959 and have been collecting through the mid 80's.  In total I have about 700 lp's.  The majority of them are in good shape since about 1969 when I got my first quality turntable, a Garrard.  I think I'm going to have the Thorens fixed if the price is right. They also have upgrades available.   Worse case scenario I can trade it in on a new one.
Pipebro, I would have the motor checked out. Does the spindle turn by hand?

FWIW, My TD-166 MkII that I purchased new in 1984 was mothballed from 1990 until ~1998.  All it needed was a good cleaning and a new belt.  I have since had it slightly modded, and I am thrilled with it.  Once, at a Stereophile show, I asked a panel how much I would have to spend to get a new 'table that improved on my Thorens.  Predictably, Mike Fremer suggested something like a VPI Scout, and Art Dudley suggested I keep the Thorens.

I find it hard to believe your belt is okay after all that time in a stationary position.  But if the motor isn't getting power it could either be a simple repair (power cord replacement) or major one (new motor).  But, man, those Thorens 'tables were built like tanks, like Swiss watches.  I would at least get an estimate from a qualified repair facility.  I found one through Thorens.