Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The article's author uses the term "jazz" very very loosely; absurdly so. From that standpoint, I would agree that the article is "nonsense" and what he describes as "jazz" bears little resemblance to what we consider jazz. The author concedes this point:

****Generally, African jazz is much more closely related to African folk/classical music than African American jazz is****

Personally, I am not very bothered by the appropriation of the name "jazz" because I understand that for many (especially outside America) the term jazz refers simply to a music that (just as American culture in general) is an amalgam of many cultural influences; and with a dose of the requisite element of improvisation. The main problem with this music ("African jazz") for me is that I just don't think it's very good; it's not very sophisticated nor developed. The farther it gets from the indigenous, the weaker it seems to be.

I think a key to understanding (at least conceptually) the previously discussed question of the African influence in American jazz may be found in some of this music and the search for the reverse: the influence of American jazz in African music ("jazz"?). The African influence in American jazz may be perceived as, at best, subtle to the point of insignificance if one doesn't understand cross-cultural influences in art at a very fundamental level. We tend to look for (listen) for obvious signs in order to say "aha! there's the influence"; ain't gonna happen that way.

When I listen to a clip like the one above by the South African "jazz legend" (give me a break!) what I hear is third rate or, at best, second rate "smooth jazz" as we know it here in America. BUT, there are subtle signs that let me hear a direct connection (influence) to indigenous African music and tell me these are not American musicians playing this music. There is a unique flavor to the rhythmic feel of the music as well as an "accent" in the harmonic vocabulary of the improvisations that are telltale and are obvious connections to the indigenous music of the players' culture. Unfortunately, the overall effect is, for me, not very convincing. If I were to HAVE to listen to this sort of thing there are far better examples on smooth jazz radio stations or elevators to be heard.

I don't think that "African jazz" is a good example of the state of jazz outside the USA. There is a lot of good (sophisticated and well developed) jazz happening outside America. Why there is not credible jazz happening in Africa may be the result of the overriding rhythm-centric nature of their indigenous music (almost devoid of sophisticated harmony or melody) while European music's main contribution to the amalgam of "jazz" is in the realm of harmony and melody while still containing a strong rhythmic element; although different in nature than that which was African music's main influence on jazz. So, it follows that in Europe there were fewer conceptual elements to overcome for American jazz to be a significant influence.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=06_uCl_Bovs
***** I choose to define what I heard as "Blah".*****

Well, we agree. But I didn't think it rose to the level of "Blah".

There was a time when Countries and societies and Cultures developed without outside influences or interference. Those days are long gone. With communications and travel being what they are these days, the Africans, and any other Third World country, have no chance of developing any music(Jazz) that is 'purely' Indigenous. And lets not forget the influence of MONEY.

Cheers
O-10:

After viewing all your clips, it seems as if young folks are searching for something. The next BIG thing? They seem to be all over the place / map.

My question with it all is, where is the body of work? We hear just a few notes, and we know it's Morgan or Trane or Mingus. With this modern stuff, do these guys have an Identity? A style, a sound, some musical pedigree?

Suppose "Song for my Father" was the ONLY tune we were aware that Silver wrote. Trane did "Giant Steps" and was never heard from again. That's how I preceive the modern 'Jazz'. A few nice tunes here and there, but no body of work. Of course, it could just be that I need to get out more. :)

Thanks for the clips. Interesting stuff. The guy from Nam shows promise.

All this makes me treasure my CDs even more. How lucky we all are, to have been able to see and hear the Masters.

Cheers
Named in Honor of the Voodoo Priestess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eeb1MTkUY

Check Wynton at around 4:30. he ain't blowing, he's talking!!

Cheers

Rok, now I remember "Terje Rypdal"; he takes you to the "Misty Mid Region of Weir", that's someplace in my imagination which exists when I hear Terje. It's a place that only exists in another dimension; now you got it.

Enjoy the music.