Class D = Trash?

So, I'm on my second class D amp. The first one, a Teac AI-301DA which claimed to use an ICE module, was unlistenable trash. I burned it in for a few weeks, it just couldn't perform, so I sent it back. Following that, I tried the new Emotiva A-300 (class A/B). It was significantly better, but lacking in too many ways for my tastes. So I changed gears, got an 845 SET from China -- and it was an immediate and massive improvement.

So, before I went further down the SET road, I wanted to try a better class D product using a modern class D module. I settled on the D-Sonic M3-800S with the Pascal module and custom input stage. I read from reviews that these things like to have big cables, so I picked up an eBay 8 gauge power cable (Maze Audio, el-cheapo Oyaide copy plugs, braided 4-wire cable) to go along with it.

Mid-range GONE.
Soundstage depth CRUSHED.
Euphonics DISAPPEARED.

Yes, resolution went up. Driver control went up, allowing me to play compressed rock/pop and orchestra with the speakers being able to render it all. But enjoyment in the sound is basically gone. Using my best power cable (LessLoss Original) improved performance, but didn't fundamentally change the amp's nature. I ran back to my headphones (Focal Utopias) to detox my ear canals.

So, how long does a class D need to burn-in? I want to give it a fair shake before writing the technology off forever. 
madavid0
Those imaging effects are what happens when you have a mismatched speaker pair. Either drivers or crossover components did not match.

Best,

E
Damn, 24 hours later and this amp sounds like trash -- rolled off / recessed mids again, soundstage depth almost gone...wow. I guess this thing with wired class D burn-in is true.

Hello madavid0, please let me be the first to extend to you a warm welcome to the wonderful world of class D breakin Purgatory!

For the next few weeks you shall be our guest... Though shall be regaled by the experience of gnashing of teeth, extreme audiophrenic anxieties, buyer's remorse, snarky comments from wife and friends, plunging self-worth, desperation, upset stomach, gastritis, duodenal ulcerations, persistent tremors, and occasional night terrors.

Please do not despair... Know that there is light at the end of this grizly tunnel.... Sorry, we know you can't see it yet... 'Tis around an untold series of nasty bends, dips, collapsing sound stages, intermodulative shrieks, tubby corners, and halls filled with revolting audio mud.

Please find in the left pocket of your seat a 500 count jar of 250 mg generic Valium fast-acting jell caps, a miner's helmet, and a silicon audiophile-approved teeth guard... Please use the teeth guard during rest periods to prevent teeth from shattering from the inevitable gnashing. Always wear the helmet to prevent head injury when hitting the roof during inevitable fits of audiophrenic rage.... And use Valium as needed to reduce anxiety to a bearable level.

Please enjoy your ride!!!

Signed:

Your devoted Class D Break-in Purgatory Administrator (CDBPA)

I can definitely detect that element of...whatever it is. Dryness? Poor blending of upper- mids into highs? Lack of weight? There's a SOMETHING to the sound that hints to listener fatigue.
I experienced the same with Ice Power amps. Dry, cold, clinical...lacking depth and instruments not decaying properly. I purchased the amp used so it wasn't a break in issue...I started a thread about it and it appears that the switching frequencies aren't currently high enough to avoid degrading the signal. If it was a simple break in issue, they would be broken in at the factory. 

Don't give up on Class D though. When the switching frequencies improve, they will become the solid state amps of choice. Some folks don't hear what we hear and they are fortunate to enjoy these small and efficient power houses. More power to them.