Class D = Trash?

So, I'm on my second class D amp. The first one, a Teac AI-301DA which claimed to use an ICE module, was unlistenable trash. I burned it in for a few weeks, it just couldn't perform, so I sent it back. Following that, I tried the new Emotiva A-300 (class A/B). It was significantly better, but lacking in too many ways for my tastes. So I changed gears, got an 845 SET from China -- and it was an immediate and massive improvement.

So, before I went further down the SET road, I wanted to try a better class D product using a modern class D module. I settled on the D-Sonic M3-800S with the Pascal module and custom input stage. I read from reviews that these things like to have big cables, so I picked up an eBay 8 gauge power cable (Maze Audio, el-cheapo Oyaide copy plugs, braided 4-wire cable) to go along with it.

Mid-range GONE.
Soundstage depth CRUSHED.
Euphonics DISAPPEARED.

Yes, resolution went up. Driver control went up, allowing me to play compressed rock/pop and orchestra with the speakers being able to render it all. But enjoyment in the sound is basically gone. Using my best power cable (LessLoss Original) improved performance, but didn't fundamentally change the amp's nature. I ran back to my headphones (Focal Utopias) to detox my ear canals.

So, how long does a class D need to burn-in? I want to give it a fair shake before writing the technology off forever. 
madavid0

@ mmrkaic

On the contrary, I enjoy the sound of good class D as much as good class A/B and even some tubes.

My own Rowland M925 amps, for one thing, sport NCore NC1200 modules, and run in class D.

G.

@ jonasandezekiel

If the amps are a recent purchase, they may not be properly broken in. Give them some 1000 hours of break-in... They should have sweetened considerably, and the bass should be rendered OK. However, until now, W4S has not been one of the Class D brands with a house sound that has delighted me at RMAF.

G.

@ retrofunk

I have not heard the Thors yet, but I have tested at length the Merrill Audio Veritas and Teranis... My friend Merril makes wonderful amplifiers indeed, so I am not at all surprised that you are enchanted by the Thors. With 500 hours, your Thors will sound great, but they might continue to bloom further for as many more hours... Feed them some white noise or FM interstation hash at lowish volume whenever you are not listening to them, including night time... That will maximize the break-in speed.

G.

Wake up Call to all those firmly asleep:

Class D has and will continue to have a great future in Audiophile systems. The key is Sigma-Delta processing. Without it, yes these are harsh and mostly useless products. With it, it all comes together. Do your research on-line and in home and you will recognize this technology and understand. If not, take more Valium.

Vincent Raptor
I’m not sure if this is clear, but amps are subject to any thing in front of them. Buying an integrated w/ DAC and judging all Class D amps based on that is not going to give you a very good base upon which to judge.

Also, B&O have gone through three major generations, the latest full amp modules are the AS/ASP. There is also now a chip only version, which allows manufacturers to buy the theory, without the rest of the parts. God only knows what each maker will do with that, so it is completely unfair to use this as a basis to judge ICEPower in general as well.

The credible comparisons I have read between ICEPower AS/ASP vs. nCore put them pretty close. I think bigger differences, like in purely linear amps, will be found with amp-killer speakers. "Normal" amplifier friendly speakers may not care very much.

From my listening, I put the ICEPower AS/ASP modules as good as the Parasound A21/A23 series. Both are very modern, clean, open and quiet, and grainless. Based on this, I debunk the idea that class D is in any way inferior to linear amps. Now, if you want to argue your particular tube amp sounds better than that, well go ahead, but it won’t be due to digital vs. analog.

Best,

E