Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, beyond a shadow of a doubt "Pepper Adams" was one of the best baritone saxophonists ever, and he's my complete pick.

Sir Roland Hanna is a jazz pianist I know very little about and I'm not sure I have him in my collection. The reason I'm mentioning him is because he never left the realm of "modern jazz", but still progressed in a way that others said couldn't be done, or they couldn't do it; they had to leap into some new almost unrecognizable musical universe.

There has been so much music created in the realm of "modern jazz" that we don't know about; I subscribed to 3 different Hi Fi Mags, and CD Review, and I didn't know about all of it. I primarily relied on my buddies to bring me up to date on new music; but there was a jazz explosion when more music was created than most could acquire.

Rok, this Bud's for you; it's our kind of music, the music that progressed from the "Giants of Jazz" who were in Nica's book "3 wishes."

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Village-Vanguard-Konitz-Quartet/dp/B00YBX3VU8

Enjoy the music.

Hi Orpheus - I have deliberately refrained from joining the arguments here the last several months, though I have read it all.  I am done arguing with people here.   I was very surprised, therefore, that you actually called me a "troll."  Please explain to me, if you can, how my post with the link to Wynton's article fits that description in any way.  I was merely posting something germane to previous discussions here, that I thought people would be interested in.  The post was not directed at anyone on this board in particular, and was most certainly not intended as a comment on you or your friend.  You are trying to read something into it that is simply not there, and I hope you can look at it again and understand that.  Peace.
I read something into it from a long time ago, if that was not your intent; my bad.

Enjoy the music.
Read up on Marz , real name is Jiri- a Moravian and Graduate of Prague Conservatory. IF there is a more musical people on this planet than Moravians I don’t know about them .
My immediate reaction to his playing was he was very well educated in all phases of music and resides in the very upper echelon of players .
As well as being a alum of the great Prague school also was given a scholarship to Berklee when he came to USA . If Amazon has 20 of his CD’s I’m buying them all !