Tube Preamp Recommendations?

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum.  I'm on the hunt for a new tube pre-amp.  I think.  It is replacing an aging PSE Hybrid Line Stage 1 preamp.  Several of the RCA outputs on the PSE don't work, the power button is finicky, and it is all original, ostensibly in need of major overhaul.  Labels on capacitors and other parts have fallen off, etc.  I love the slightly warm (to my ear) holographic sound of the PSE.  I would like to upgrade the SQ.  I find bright, high resolution sound like that of my KEF X300A computer desktop speakers very fatiguing after a short period of time.  

My system consists of an Auralic Aries Mini with SBooster power supply > Kimber Kable PBJ RCA interconnects> PSE HL1 > Kimber Kable Hero RCA interconnect > N.E.W. A-20 amp > Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker wire > ProAc Response Two S speakers mounted on very beefy steel stands.  I stream a lot of Tidal on the Aires' Lighting DS app.

My short list of possible replacements are AR SP6, AR SP8, CJ PV10 and Quicksilver Full Function.  Two other options are AI Modulus 3A and ModWright LS 100 (if i can find a good deal on one--it's a stretch for my budget), but I'm afraid these two might be too neutral or bright for my ear.  I'd appreciate any recommendations.  Overhauling the PSE preamp is a possibility, but one audio professional i trust told me i can really improve SQ over the PSE.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
robert1234
Thanks for the responses, everybody.  I've spent a ridiculous amount of time researching pre-amps and it had gotten a bit overwhelming for this newbie.  I appreciate all the thoughtful comments.  

Kalali, the impedance of the ProAcs is 8 ohms. The NEW A-20 amp is rated at 20 watts at 8 ohms.  I must confess my ignorance about whether the amp has low input voltage sensitivity and/or the speakers are efficient/sensitive.  Do I need a preamp with some type of gain reduction given that i listen almost exclusively to the Aires Mini?  At some point I'll upgrade that to a higher end streamer plus stand along DAC.  

My budget is about $1,600.  The Allnic L4000 looks great but clearly out of my price range.

Mechans, I am definitely looking for some 3D magic.  I tried an SP9 (I realize it only has one tube in the line stage) since it was easy to borrow, but the sound was too bright and sterile for my taste.  I'd hoped an SP6 or SP8 would be warmer.  Sounds like that's an incorrect assumption?

Are the AI Modulus 3A and ModWright LS 100 on the cooler or neutral side too?  It looks like tube rolling on the AI isn't really possible (lots of people report burning out tubes quickly when they use tubes not recommended by the manufacturer), but is possible with the LS 100.

Gdnrbob, the Atmasphere looks interesting, but the exposed tubes won't work in my home.  Is there another 6SN7 preamp that might fit the bill?  6922/6dj8 seems to be very popular.  Are the 6SN7s warmer?

Thanks again!

In your price range I would certainly look used to get more bang for your buck. This looks like a nice choice in your price range here:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-joule-electra-la-100-mk-11-excellent-condition-2017-04-02-pre...

No relation to the seller Joule is a well thought of well reviewed brand thats still serviced by Signature Sound in NY. That's a classic audiophile preamp.

This unit also looks nice:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-granite-audio-770r-full-function-tube-preamp-2017-03-31-pream...

Not as well known but Granite Audio is still around and has a great rep.

Just a few thoughts and buying used at the right price is a great way to "audition" preamps in your system, it's easy to flip a good piece if you bought it right in the first place. Good luck.
Thanks, jond.  I'll check those two out.  I'm definitely looking for a used piece to get the biggest bang for the buck.
An Audio Research SP-6b was just listed here on AudiogoN today, and has just been overhauled. It has the classic ARC tube sound, and contains a phono section. It's priced below $1000, so act quickly!
Thank you, bdp24! I got the AR SP-6b.  Looking forward to listening to it.  Thank you to everyone who responded.  What a great community!