Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The infamous Charlie Parker "Dial" recordings! That recording is almost painful to listen to. Reminiscent of Billie Holiday’s later recording when she, like Bird, was being ravaged by drugs and alcohol. Bird is in bad shape and faltering ; but, the emotion in his playing (and Billie’s singing) is extraordinary. He never finished the session and it was finished without him as a quartet recording with Howard McGhee as the only horn. He then went back to his hotel, set his room on fire, was arrested and was admitted into a mental hospital. Now, THAT is a story; as sad as it is. Incredible player and, like O-10 points out, idolized like no other. That session produced the famous version of "Lover Man":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJpes0XFGU

This record seems to have been our most impressive in some time; I'll have to get it.

I've not posted lately because I was in the hospital for a few days; old age was the diagnosis.

"A Story Often Told But Seldom Heard", with just Roland Hanna, and George Mraz, is very intriguing; so much so that each repeat play reveals something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXvNaMC3FI

If all this is a repeat, that's just an indication of how impressive it is. This is the most "sublime" version of this song I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyTNcWYxv94

Enjoy the music.

Sorry you are sick O-10, that old-ageitis must be going around , I have it as well.
Its a hard fight .

Schubert, today's doctors and hospitals are most impressive; in my case they're dealing with unknown stuff related to the US Government (VA, besides old age), and they seem to be making a remarkable amount of progress; reminds me of "Star Trek", the way they do analysis.

Your concern helps Schubert, and I appreciate it.

Enjoy the music.