Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires

@toddverron

There are not too many speakers with large side-firing woofers... Might you be using VIenna Acoustics Mahler speakers? I hav owned those, and they are amazing with class D amps.

Guido

Been on the class d amp seen since Wyred 4 sound early stereo ones, got interested so I built a ClassD Audio dual mono bridged one with the SDS 254 boards and was hooked best sound for the money bar none. Went to D Sonic monos and now have The Nords like the OP (they use the NC500 boards). Can confirm that a passive is a good match I had the Wyred 4 Sound Pre and that sounded great should of kept it. Then got a Audio Research LS17SE and that sounded good but wanted a little more warmth so now I have the PS Audio BHK Pre another great pre with the sound I have been working for, also you can turn off the tube section when not listening
You know, one digital-ish amp technology we haven't talked about is Yamaha's EEEngine. It is a hybrid approach, which reminds me of Carver's Magnetic Field and NAD's voltage switching technology.

It uses a digital amplifier to provide the + and - voltage rails, but a linear amplifier at the output.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/technology/eeengine.jsp

I've never knowingly heard them, but if anyone is using one let me know. :)

Best,

E
though i really should try them with a passive pre, just to hear their true nature..
Yes that is the way to hear what they are really like, or direct if you don’t start to "bit strip" with a source digital volume control by going below 75% of full volume.
I’m also not one for band-aid fixing, by adding a colouration to fix a problem elsewhere, that should be addressed instead.
Cheers George
Guido, my speakers are barely even on the audiophile radar. I have a pair of rbh sound 1266 se/r. Up top there’s a mtm arrangement with a scanspeak tweeter and proprietary mids. They sound lovely with big, tight bass. I’ve always been a fan of narrow, tall floor standers with side firing woofers. Before these I had a pair of JBL L7s.

Erik, my preamp is a dared mc7-p. I’m considering trying the new schiit pre, but then I’d need a phono pre and I don’t know if I even want to open that door.