Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
In my ongoing quest for solo piano nirvana  the easiest on my ear found is Dave McKenna,seems almost simple at first but a lot is going on,esp. in bass line .
Hope one of you smarter guys can you tube'em .

Let us XXXXX that statement "Was to the trumpet, what Bird was to the alto".

Frogman,it goes beyond personal taste; it involves whose taste is most concurrent with "the street" meaning aficionados from New York, Chicago, and St. Louis, in regard specifically to "Hard Bop".

There is no way we can can put this current discussion under that big "amorphous" tent called "jazz". Lee Morgan almost became a subject unto himself; his blazing solos with Blakey yelling "Git mad!" behind him. The artistic merit of "Search For The New Land", the music of which could easily be turned into choreography that told a deep story of a lost people searching for a new "Spiritual Land".

The more I search for Lee Morgan, the more I find; I ran out of my search for Miles Davis sometime ago; it's impossible to tell where personal taste ends, and some kind of objectivity begins. However, I will say that I knew people who knew Miles, and loved him like a brother, but had a different opinion of a lot of his most current music.

Would you have been in "Slugs" every night to see and hear Lee Morgan, if it had been convenient? I would be willing to bet that "Nica" went there, and let the wine heads guard her Bentley.

There is no way we can, nor do I want it to be an objective discussion; either you heard Lee's blazing solos like I did, or you didn't.

O-10, you make my point perfectly.  As you say, this is not about objectivity and yours is a subjective assessment; iow, personal taste.   I love Lee Morgan's playing; that is not at issue.  But, you seem to be suggesting that somehow he was greater or more important/influential musician than Miles was.  I disagree;  "the street" did not get stuck on hard bop.  Ask yourself this question:  how would jazz be different today had there been no Lee Morgan?  Probably not much.  How would it be different today had there been no Miles?  Hugely so, imo; just as it would have been hugely different had there been no Bird.  

Musicians make their marks and move on, Charley Parker was an exception, I don't see music as a series of building blocks from one generation to the next, as in electronics, but for the most part musicians make their mark and move on.

As outstanding as this music is, I don't see how it fits in the context of musicians who went before them. What did Miles contribute to this? I just can not get my mind wrapped around your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXvNaMC3FI

Enjoy the music.
Anyone have any idea how life is for a real jazz musician in secondary cities in USA ?
I just heard on Jazz 88 in Mpls. a sax guy one Dave Carr ,who i deem to be local playing, with guitar, "Sweet and Lovely" using those Monk up from the bottom chords , just beautiful.
All I could think of is this cat could play anywhere