Class D = Trash?

So, I'm on my second class D amp. The first one, a Teac AI-301DA which claimed to use an ICE module, was unlistenable trash. I burned it in for a few weeks, it just couldn't perform, so I sent it back. Following that, I tried the new Emotiva A-300 (class A/B). It was significantly better, but lacking in too many ways for my tastes. So I changed gears, got an 845 SET from China -- and it was an immediate and massive improvement.

So, before I went further down the SET road, I wanted to try a better class D product using a modern class D module. I settled on the D-Sonic M3-800S with the Pascal module and custom input stage. I read from reviews that these things like to have big cables, so I picked up an eBay 8 gauge power cable (Maze Audio, el-cheapo Oyaide copy plugs, braided 4-wire cable) to go along with it.

Mid-range GONE.
Soundstage depth CRUSHED.
Euphonics DISAPPEARED.

Yes, resolution went up. Driver control went up, allowing me to play compressed rock/pop and orchestra with the speakers being able to render it all. But enjoyment in the sound is basically gone. Using my best power cable (LessLoss Original) improved performance, but didn't fundamentally change the amp's nature. I ran back to my headphones (Focal Utopias) to detox my ear canals.

So, how long does a class D need to burn-in? I want to give it a fair shake before writing the technology off forever. 
madavid0
 input buffer boards that allow a choice of op amps
  Maybe this will be the future of class D, with op amp rolling

Can they get any cheaper, in manufacturing with opamps instead of discrete transistors.

Any hi-end linear poweramp that used opamps as the input stage for their amps wouldn't be recognized for very long and die a slow painful death.

Cheers George  
georgehifi,

Yes, Nord does cut costs and prices to customers by selecting op amps for their input boards that they like the sound of rather than the much more expensive method of designing and building their own.
       Class D power module manufacturers typically utilize the more expensive but high quality discrete MOSFET transistors in their output stages.  I've read that there's recently been a lot of effort in the transistor industry going into developing even faster switching MOSFET transistors expressly for use in class D switching amps.  Are class D amps becoming so popular and mainstream that their manufacturers' needs are now influencing the direction of transistor r&d?  I believe the future of class D certainly looks very promising.

Tim
Modern Op amps are very good implemented correctly. Most music is produced with tens of them in the signal chain at least. There's no way to avoid them entirely.

Almost all DAC's rely on them, if not external, then implemented in the filter chips themselves.

Power supply and supporting part quality matters.

Best,

E
georgehifi,

Here's a link to what I was referring to in my last post about reading of faster switching mosfets:

http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/why-well-soon-be-living-in-a-class-d-world.html

This transistor technology is called Gallium Nitride (GaN) and is poised to uproot the high-end audio world.  There's even mention of your favorite subject, higher PWM switching frequency, and how these new GaN FETS will enable it.

Tim
@pcrhkr - I had a crown xls 1500, which was the first gen if they're more tech. It was a great amp, especially considering it can be had new for not much more than $300. 

I recently bought a used pair of class d monoblocks by Ghent audio.. they are noticeably better than the crown. Just putting that out there.