Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires

@noble100 @neil_squiresNiel

@neil_squires@neil_squiresand Tim, harmonic distortions lower than 0.005% have already been achieved in class D for a few years. One example is the Mola Mola Kaluga designed by Bruno Putseys using an enhanced NC1200 Ncore modules. THe amp is rated at less than 0.003% across the audible frequency band. The big Rowlands M825 and M925 amps also exceed the 0.005% target, but their price tag makes them somewhat more exotic.

The interesting thing in Gallium Nitride transistors is not so much whether they can in principle enable a high priced class D amp like the panasonic to achieve distortions lower than 0.005%, but if the technology could bring such performance in designs that serve the sub_$10K market, and perhaps one fine day, even below the $5K market.

On the other hand, the audible performance of an amplifier is not created by one particular measurement, nor by a slew of measurements, but by the effect -- iuntellectual and emotional alike -- that the device is capable of having on a listener... Plenty of amps of any class can mesmerize a listener, with a somewhat weaker link to their total declared distortion.  

G.

@neil_squires@neil_squires

Owned 4 pcs mono Spectron Musician III MKII for the past 8 years driving large planars.
Never powered down and the music out of the planars is puresex.
I took the Class D plunge just a month ago for my home-office system as alternative to the Triode TRV-A300SE Integrated. I purchased the "Waring" Integrated from FLEAWATT (25 wpc into 4), the owner, Derek makes them himself. This little guy (the amp) uses a TPA3116D2 chip and it's built w/ Dueland cotton/copper wire. My Dell computer (JRIVER server) is connected via USB to a Chord Electronics QX (British version) DAC, then downstream of the integrated, Antero bookshelf speakers w/ a 92 dB sensitivity. Does the music lack, euphonics? I'm not hearing  it .... and the sound is impressively detailed and transparent, quite musical while bass extension is excellent and tight. I like it so much, I've got him making me another model~!
Hifidream :

Interesting, very similar to the Yamaha EEEngine I wrote about a little while ago, and therefore similar to the Carver amps too.

Best,

E
I wish we weren’t ragging on Pass.... but yeah, my own experience (but in 2 different systems) was that ICEPower ASP was their equal.

Which also, by extension and if I have any integrity, means the Parasound Halo amps I've heard are also very very close.

Best,

E