Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Love Aster Aweke. Here are three of my current favorites and worthy of some serious attention:

Buika - El Ultimo Trago (with Chucho Valdes on piano), La Noche Mas Larga
Cecile Mclorin Salvant - Womanchild
Lila Downs - Una Sangre, Border

Before we go on, I would like for you guys to compare the albums "Somethin Else" and KOB in detail, and tell me what you think. They can be found on my 09-30-14 post.

Enjoy the music

Hew, Cecile McLorin Salvant is fantastic, Rok, she's given your old jazz a reprieve; I had pronounced it dead. As many times as I've heard "I Didn't Know What Time It Was", she made it brand new all over again, and the pianist was great on "Woman Child", the CD, got to have it.

Enjoy the music.
Cecile McLorin Salvant-- she has been in my 'CART' on amazon for quite a while, but when I place an order, she always seems to get bumped back to the 'save for later' list.

Tonight after reading the latest posts here, I checked back at Amazon. Several of the reviewers there are comparing her to Ella, Sarah and Billie. One even suggested she was beyond those divas. This of course, causes my BS alarm to quiver.

Sometimes it best to wait for the second album, so as to see if the artist is still a genius. But, our OP swears by her, so that's good enough for me. Next order, she will be on the list.

OLD Jazz is not dead, anymore than old Classical music is dead. Greatness always stands the test of time. Today, Octber 2014, we are talkking about the greatest Jazz album. I guess we should be disccusing the latest sound waves and irritating noises from young folks. But, we are not. We are talking about two albums recorded decades ago, by players, all of whom, or at least the vast majority of whom, are dead.

OLD Jazz is not dead. It is as alive as Mozart and Beethoven and Bach...... As long as we have the CDs and Records, they live!!!

Have you noticed how we ALL speak of these people in the present tense?? Says it all.
"KOB" vs "Somethin' Else":

Following the OP's instructions, I listened intently. Used my CDs thru my system.

Somethin' Else: I was riveted throughout the entire CD. Staying focused was easy. I heard every note. I can see why someone would consider this to be maybe the best Jazz album. The playing was just awesome. Loved the way the solos went from Miles to Cannoball, back to miles then to Jones. They all did their individual thing, but you always knew they were playing the same tune. I also liked the Tune selection. The whole performance was flawless.

KOB: Great players, and great playing. I did not like the Tune selection as much as "Somethin' Else". I had to TRY and stay focused on the music. Mind would wander. The solos just were not up to the standard set in "Somethin' Else". Overall, it did not impress me nearly as much as "Somethin' Else". I don't know why anyone would consider this the best Jazz album ever. I realize, it is the best selling album. But there are many on my shelf that I consider more enjoyable to listen to. Like efforts from Silver, Morgan, Cannonball and even "Swiss Movement". I consider "Blues and the Abstract Truth" to be much better than KOB.

I suspect 'Audiophile' hype is at work here.

Just one Frenchman's Opinion.

Cheers