Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
One more thing. It's easy to have a certain disdain/dislike for Miles the person ... the attitude, the ego, all of that. But as a musician and a contributor he has very few peers IMHO. 

Happy Listening!

Strateahed, I'm from St. Louis, and I've met just about everybody in Miles family. The people who loved Miles and his music in the beginning, still felt unwavering love for Miles the person, but privately, they felt he could leave some of his new music on the doorstep when he came to visit them, which is something they would never admit publicly. Miles brother and I have similar tastes in jazz, and his taste couldn't change to accommodate some of Miles music after "Bitches Brew".

I have seen and discussed things from the very opposite point of view as you presented. But when you think about it, if your brother were a musician, and fell to banging on garbage cans, you would love him no less. My point is, I have known a number of Miles "original" fans who have a negative view of his music after "Bitches Brew"; Miles knew this would happen after he made radical changes in his music.

Frogman, Miles continued to gain new audiences, but I believe this discography will certify when he left his original audience behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis_discography

My most current CD's by Miles are nothing but dust catchers, but before then was "Live Evil", which was heavy fusion, and then "On The Corner". His sense of aesthetics left me behind, and I found other artists to be more pleasing. I suppose if I had listened more intently I could have gotten where he was coming from, but I refuse to put forth a lot of effort in regard to understanding and enjoying music; either it grabs me or it doesn't.

Why don't you post the most current music by Miles that you like.
Last night ,by chance, I tuned in archived hour of Marian McPartland’s "Piano Jazz " . I never listened to her much in the 40 years she did the programs as I wasn’t much into jazz then .
The conversations she had with virtually every one who was anyone in jazz must be the greatest treasure of jazz knowledge in the world . I ended up being up to 3 AM listening to a half dozen other programs . Most fun listening that I have ever had .
Programs are stunningly archived on Minnesota Public Radio . As they were NPR i imagine they are on other NPR stations as well .
I can’t imagine any lover of jazz not being overjoyed with both the talks and the music , the girl could play a bit , wonder on changes .Duos with guests are wonderful as well . One guy played "Blue Monk" on a French Horn and
explained how he harmonized notes to do it . Almost dropped my dentures !
As Dizzy and Lennie Tristano said" If you can sing it you can play it ' .

Schubert, I listened to her every Saturday morning; that's when she came on here, and I don't recall any more interesting conversations about jazz; she could keep you so into her conversation, that you never left till it was all over.