High mass vs Low Mass Turntables - Sound difference?

As I am recently back playing with analog gear after some 15 years away, I thought I would ask the long time experts here about the two major camps of record players -- high vs low mass-loaded-type tables...

For example, an equivalently priced VPI table (say a Classic, Aries or Prime) versus a Rega RP8/10 or equivalent Funk Firm table...  the design philosophies are so different ... one built like a tank, the other like a lightweight sports car...

Just wondering if the folks here have had direct experience with such or similar tables, and what have been your experiences and sense of strengths and weaknesses of these two different types of tables.

128x128jjss49
Heavier plinth and heavy platter is my preference. Lightweight should be for the tone arm.

I never understood the advantage of a light plinth and platter except that it is cheaper to make and less shipping cost.
Shadore

You don't understand the design philosophies of what Rega and other low mass companies are trying to do.

There are really two major philosophies

High mass with the thinking that the additional mass is harder to get to resonate, however, the energy is slowly released adding coloration.

vs

Low mass wth the concept that the lighter weight materials will flex to absorb energy or bounce the enegy off of the table by virtue of the materials propensity not to be vibrated by certain frequencies, and disapate that energy faster leading to a faster less colored more nimble sound.

Personaly the best table I have ever heard did battle with a $40k high mass table and sounded nearly identical for 1/5 the money.

That table used a plinth of rubber laminates to absorb all energy presented to the table and turn it into heat rather than trying to deflect it low mass or absorb it or not be excited high mass designs, best table I have ever heard $7k beats most $25k tables.

Over the last 40 years I have worked with Sota, Linn, Vpi, Kronos, Rega, Linn, Thorns, SME, and many others. 

Troy
Audio Doctor
10 kg mass ORACLE DELPHI, early models w/ GROOVE ISOLATOR and "soft spring set" suspension outperform so many IME. In musicality.
higher mass will lower the Q of of the resonant system

- for those allergic to Google, that means any resonance near a certain freq. will be lower in amplitude and more spread out than a higher Q for both higher & lower freq.

it isn't really that it harder to get to resonate

higher mass is just one of a number of engineering design factors that can be used to deal with resonances - there is no way one could take a number of xlnt turntables and weigh them to rank their SQ

BEST THING: put the turntable (and it's pre-preamp) in a different room or area that is acoustically isolated from the listening room
so back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION...

anyone here able to do direct, head on comparisons?

i just care about the sound...