Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Frogman said:
"As has already been pointed out this all began (this time round) with the Kaplan article. I expressed my disagreement with some of the points he made (one in particular) and you went on to bash the guy and call him a farce without a single specific substantive point of disagreement and only blanket condemnation"

I say:
I introduced the Kaplan article. Said it was interesting. Suggested we all read it. Then, after a little Wiki, found out he was in the Les Aspin Sec Defense. Do a little research on the incident known as "Blackhawk Down". That's Les in action. Never mentioned anything negative about Kaplan in relation to KOB or any other music. Suggested he might be another Tony Cordesman. My comments were off topic, but not about KOB or music.

Damn!! I think we have a problem right here is "Aficionado" City!!

Cheers
The Frogman Says:
"As I have pointed out there is a lot of nuance involved in all this and to undertand it makes one a better judge of not only the music, but of ulterior motives one may have for insisting on keeping oneself in one "camp" or another."

Rok Says:
Being aware of 'nuances' is not going to make me change my likes and dislikes when it comes to music. Music does not work like that.

You know all this stuff, and seem to think that if only we knew it as well, we would like different music. No, we would not!!

What reaches your ears, and the impact it makes on the listener, is all there is. The rest is just nice to know information.

Cheers
"I pointed out that KOB has probably introduced. more audiophiles to jazz than anything else. You then take that comment as an opportunity to bash audiophiles. Gee, I thought it was a positive that audiophiles might be exposed to jazz."

I disagree with this. I have no proof, but I do read the threads on this forum. I have seen countless posts about the lastest 'audiophile' recordings and downloads of folks like the Beatles, Miles ,mainly KOB.

I have never seen audiophiles going gaga over recordings of Mingus, Hubbard, Rollins, MJQ .... I can't name everyone, but you get the drift.

KOB has introduced 'Audiophiles' to KOB. It does seem to have gone any further. Not a criticism, just my observation. Maybe not even factual, but I would bet my Tiny Tim box set on it being true.

Bashing 'Audiophiles'?? Can you think of a group more deserving of being bashed? Mind you, I did not say music lovers.

Cheers
Now, in the interest of civility, I am done. As our wise OP once said, you and I speak different languages.

Cheers
It seems to me most people are impressed by just 3 things: how fast you play, how high you can play, and how loud you can play. I find this a little exasperating, but I'm a lot more experienced now, and I understand that probably less tan 2% of the public can really hear. When I say hear , I mean follow a horn players through his ideas, And be able to understand those ideas in relation to the changes, if the changes are completely modern.

Chet Baker

"Nothing is new under the sun"

Solomon