Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Sometimes the hole a person digs for himself is so deep that any kind of retort is superfluous at best. O-10, I hope you feel better soon; sincerely.

Frogman, here is Miles Davis's last recording; Doo Bop;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1k_BrA8CI

Here is Dizzy's last recording; we'll even let "your panel" be the judge in regard to the best "jazz" recording, and consider that musician the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auxl5QbT528

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, your allegations against me have revolved around the same thing and they are always true, and first I'll reveal why they are true.

When I began this thread, "Jazz For Aficionados" sounded like a nice title; now I are an "Aficionado" (that was a bit of humor). When one can hear into the center of the soul of the music we call jazz, that is when one is an "Aficionado". I'll give you a very specific example. "Heavy Soul" is an album that has been out since 63; that's when I bought it.

The album didn't get much mention initially, but like a snowball rolling down a hill, it gathered more flakes of snow, and now it's quite prominent among "Aficionados"; oh! there's that word again.

When I heard the depths of emotion emanating from all the musicians on that album, I knew they were saying something that went beyond the music.

"Grant Green", you remember him, his album "Idle Moments" didn't become popular until long after it was out. I heard the often spoke about soul in Joe Henderson's solo on "Idle Moments" long before others. I could go on and on, but now I think you are getting my drift as to why I am considered an "Aficionado".

Although this does not apply to our current debate, it does apply to the debate that is raging underneath.

Enjoy the music.