Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

But, it seems that 'we' are going in circles here, with all that 'new' vs 'old' jazz, with or without 'soul'.

Alex, could you take your time and elaborate on that. I don't think we are going in circles, I think we are getting closer to defining a very complex music.

From my point of view, music is affected by so many things other than music, which have currently gone astray, that music currently is not as good as in the past. While jazz might be most affected, if what I say is true, other genres would also be affected.

"Soul" is a word that exists in many languages, and that's the way it is used in jazz, which differentiates it from "Soul Music".

It would be impossible to describe the music of "Bobby Timmons" without the use of the word "Soul".

Jazz is an evolving music; however, I don't think it's evolving into "Doo Bop", or even in that direction.

Woody Shaw is an artist I'm not as familiar with, as I would like to be. There were so many top notch jazz artists at one time, that I will have to go back, and pick up on those I missed.

I checked his "Bio" and it's no wonder he reminded me so much of "Diz"; his mother was from the same home town, and it's apparent he crossed paths with Diz a lot. When I buy Woody Shaw, I can get young Diz with good recording quality.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, you are a politician posing as musician; " Seems to me that a far more productive and insightful approach would be to try and understand the difference between "trumpet player" and "musician" as Learsfool correctly stressed."

Why don't you and Learsfool take that route, I'm concerned with the music coming out of the speakers, whether Diz is puffed up like a frog matters not .

Why don't we call the Miles, Diz comparison a wash and go on to the next thing; How about jazz vocal groups. "Bengal and Beyond" is the one I'm into right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUFqUur7bZg

"New York Voices" is nice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6mX_HtgGI

And don't leave out "Manhatten Transfer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YsE-wQn9c

Enjoy the music.