Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, without a doubt that's my favorite album cover. I'm sure it was taken during the best time in Miles life, he was "insanely" in love with the woman on the cover.

That was when Miles was going into an "angular" approach to his music; this would be reflected in "Bitches Brew". In general, I preferred the flowing music him and Gil Evans produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EgyUcHSSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01GW0jdJatA&list=PL08420B7A2DE13933

Enjoy the music.
Lest we forget:

The OP's original intent:

Jazz for aficionados

"I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record........While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us."

If you are going in a different direction, then a new thread is in order. Because, "Jazz for Aficionados" is more a 'conversation' than an 'Audiophile' type Thread. This is like guys in the barber shop.:)

Cheers

As you can see, my posts are out of sequence in regard to miles and miles of Miles before my odometer runs out.

Rok, I'm switching between "Cecile" and those African cuts on "you tube". While Cecile is better without pictures, those African cuts can't stand alone, they have to have pictures.

Cecile just gets better and better all the time; although chicken is chicken, I've had chicken dishes that were awesome and unforgettable. While Cecile isn't brand new, she's like that unforgettable chicken dish, I didn't know what they put in it, but I just couldn't get enough of it.

She makes songs I've heard a million times sound brand new; Cecile is putting her secret spice "essence of Cecile" into each and every song, that's what makes them new.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, for the records: I never met a professional jazz musician who was an audiophile. I remember when professional jazz musicians were into "DAT" tape recorders; that's as close as they came to audiophile. During the three months time my friend, the professional jazz musician lived with me, I don't recall us ever sitting around listening to music; if we were at the apartment, we were engaged in lively conversation, or sleeping. Why would anyone sit around listening to recorded music, when there was always live music playing somewhere, to be heard; do you think Miles sat around listening to recorded music? and of course the difference between a young man (then), and an old man (now) is night and day.

Enjoy the music.