Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10 and Rok - I'm sorry, but I have to call you guys out again, if Frogman won't. Your comments on musicians not caring about audio are way out of line, and frankly insulting. As both Frogman and I have stated many times in these forums, there are more musicians who are audiophiles, by percentage, than in any other profession you care to name. O-10, I believe you when you say the guy you live with didn't listen to music when he was off, but I assure you he is an exception. Almost every professional musician listens to more music in their off hours than the typical audiophile does. Granted, much of that is for work and study purposes, but it is very often also for pleasure. When you have such a well respected jazz musician as Frogman (and there are several others in these forums who participate on a fairly regular basis, though some of them don't identify themselves as such), who are willing to engage in serious dialogue with you about the music you love, why you do persist in making these type of statements? Or poking fun because they don't have as expensive a system as you? They probably don't have near the income you do, either. Let's please keep this about the music - this is one of the very best threads that any audiophile forum has ever had.
Learsfool:

The major problem is that some people seem to think that every word uttered on this thread has to 'pass muster' with them, and some school house teachings. I beg to disagree. Read the OP's opening statement, which I just re-posted. This thread is about talking about and sharing music we love.

Now, to impart information in a courteous, and helpful way is one thing, and it's appreciated. But to say, I don't know what I'm talking about when I express my preferences and thoughts on certain CDs is just hubris. He is so quick to 'correct' everyone, that he misses a lot of that is being said.

EXAMPLE:

I submitted a post from the BBC proms. "Bolero" with the Spanish dancers. I had never seen it danced to, so I thought it would be interesting to share. (BTW,they also happened to be Stone Foxes.) What did the Frogman say? "That was not a very good Bolero". So he sends a clip of some uptight German Orch playing the 'perfect'(his word) Bolero.

The point was not the orchestra! Not the Bolero! It was the dancing!!! Hell, the orchestra was even blacked out. In the dark. It was the dancers!! He missed it. Didn't get it. He even said the horns were out of tune on the French orchestra's Water/Fire music thingy.

He has the Audiophile mentality that says, always criticize and nit-pick everything said.

You read the forums, you know what I mean. Someone says UP, the audiophile MUST say DOWN. You say Right, they say left. You say Left, then they say right. It's almost like an kneejerk. Read his post of 10-5-14.

No one said musicians don't like or listen to audio. The inference was that they don't waste time with, or believe in all the typical 'audiophile' voodoo / magical / nonsense.

The best example of this I have ever seen, was a photo of the Jazz group, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, at work, All sitting in folding chairs listening intently to an LP being played on a child's toy record player, sitting on the floor. Something that can be purchased at TOYs R US.

The point is, what a real musician needs to get out of recorded music, does not cost very much.

***** who are willing to engage in serious dialogue with you about the music you love, why you do persist in making these type of statements?*****

That statement is very condescending, but, accurate protrayal of certain attitudes. It is also, at the root of most of the conflict on this thread. If I am WILLING, then you, should ........

*****Or poking fun because they don't have as expensive a system as you? They probably don't have near the income you do, either. *****

I am not sure I understand this statement. For the record, My 'expensive' system consists of a Harman Kardon receiver, and Polk speakers. I can assure you, it's the least expensive system on this entire forum. My income is Social Security. :( You must be talking about that guy with the off shore bank accounts, O-10! :)

Thanks for the post.

Cheers

Which African tubes? This is one of them, but it didn't really matter because the costumes and the dance was more interesting than the music; especially when some of them switched back to the village. Since there are no DVD's, so much for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HGdO42nMA

Here's another one; after awhile, switching on those on the sidebar, they began to sound alike, that's when I left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4RkXO5IfU

Enjoy the music.
The African Youtubes:

I agree with you. The sound is just too monotonous. Maybe the music is just not sophisticated in structure. Good for maintaining voodoo trances?

Damn. When I typed that, my keyboard stopped working for a moment. :)

On the positive side, she will not have to worry about being accused of sounding like Ella.

Do you realize that Acman3 submitted a post/youtube about Cecile over a year ago!! I was not paying attention. What do you think of Porter?

Cheers
Rok, "the major problem" is one of personality. Here we at the same tiresome place again where you fail to see the hypocracy in your attitude and contradictions and lack of clarity in what you write. You often disagree and do so in an abrasive and condescending manner; yet, when "some people" disagree with you it becomes "nitpicking", you "meant" this or that, or you go to the fall-back position of audiophile bashing which is really sophomoric in its attempt at superiority, says little and begs the question: if you have such disdain for audiophiles, why do you post in an audiophile forum? I am often reminded of issues around child-rearing: they get the most obstinate and scream the loudest with those who they know, deep inside, are correct.

Classic Rok contradiction:

Your recent Bolero example where you accuse me of nitpicking and neglecting to understand that the musically mediocre Bolero that you posted was meant to be appreciated with the visual (the dance). Yet, this is what you wrote a mere few days ago:

****10-01-14: Rok2id
Southern Comfort-- I am always suspicious of music that "requires" visuals to make it seem complete. The wife likes it, but she likes recordings of birds and waves. :)****

I find it a bit humorous that you would think "some people" are looking for validation in a forum like this or consider their word to be "gospel". What was that term you used recently?.....oh yeah, "projection". I am flattered that you are so affected by my occasional disagreement, but all I can do is encourage you to be more secure in your beliefs.

Cheers