Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
When CTI came on the scene, there were some "purists" that accused the artists on the CTI catalog of "selling out"; some of the jazz was a little "lite", but some was really funky and really good. For me, Stanley Turrentine was probably the only (well, Freddie Hubbard also) whose CTI releases were consistently great; even the "lighter" ones. Another fave; along with "Sugar" (Eric Gale kills):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL69bb8FmwkGCFcej-Mxd-nQXPiwrI3OBg&v=JTBRiyB4KpU

Frogman, since I'm an "Audiophile", they don't have to prove anything to me in regard to the sound, but I bet neither Casandra Wilson, or Gregory Porter would consider themselves audiophiles. All I'm saying is the lifestyle of musicians I've known is more like the people in Rok's clip of Casandra Wilson. While anyone can find specific examples of almost anything, we're talking about in general.

Now I don't know anything about Casandra Wilson, other than the fact that she can probably afford to be an audiophile. Since we're talking about musicians in general who can afford to be audiophiles, let's lay it all on the line for "Casandra Wilson". If she's an audiophile, me and Rok will concede, if not you and Leersfool will concede that musicians are less likely, than more likely to be audiophiles; go to work.

Enjoy the music.
There's always something to buy! Never heard of this until tonight. Now I have to have the DVD, if it exists. Love Christmas music. I wonder if The Frogman is in this one?

Am I the only one that didn't know of Ellington's Nutcracker Suite? Fess up! They seem to alternate between Ellington and Tchaikovsky. I have a CD titled 'Ellintgon's Suites', but there is no Nutcracker. Check out the introduction clip to this performance. Could be the Frogman speaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56axsTAmQXM&index=10&list=PLC4A8C3838EF48C81

Cheers
O-10, let's put is this way:

I have, as LeArsfool reminded us, pointed out that, as a percentage of the population of musicians, there are many more musicians who are audiophiles than there are audiophiles in the general population. Additionally, and you will simply have to take my word for this: the average musician (jazz or otherwise) has infinitely better sound playback equipment than the average non-musician; even the average non-musician who can afford to be an audiophile.
Frogman is correct about my intended meaning - when I said musicians, I meant all types of musicians, not just classical. Of course, O-10, there are exceptions to every rule. There are many classical musicians who aren't into great reproduction, too, even though they can hear the difference. As Rok said, we hear what we NEED to hear on a boom box if we have to. But as a percentage, yes, there are many more musicians with better quality playback systems than the averages in other professions. They certainly don't all have five figure systems, it might be good mid-fi stuff, like what I started with after college - a Technics turntable, Harmon Kardon receiver, and Cerwin Vega speakers (and there are a great many audiophiles who would argue that the Technics was not a mid-fi piece, but that's another argument). Back in the day, that system cost me three figures. The average musician is more likely to own such equipment than the average non-musician.

Rok, I can see how my comment you quoted could easily be misinterpreted to be condescending, but I think you know it was not intended that way. I will certainly admit that there is a reason I am a musician and not a writer....not the best choice of words. Frogman is much better at writing clearly than I, that's for sure.