Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman is correct about my intended meaning - when I said musicians, I meant all types of musicians, not just classical. Of course, O-10, there are exceptions to every rule. There are many classical musicians who aren't into great reproduction, too, even though they can hear the difference. As Rok said, we hear what we NEED to hear on a boom box if we have to. But as a percentage, yes, there are many more musicians with better quality playback systems than the averages in other professions. They certainly don't all have five figure systems, it might be good mid-fi stuff, like what I started with after college - a Technics turntable, Harmon Kardon receiver, and Cerwin Vega speakers (and there are a great many audiophiles who would argue that the Technics was not a mid-fi piece, but that's another argument). Back in the day, that system cost me three figures. The average musician is more likely to own such equipment than the average non-musician.

Rok, I can see how my comment you quoted could easily be misinterpreted to be condescending, but I think you know it was not intended that way. I will certainly admit that there is a reason I am a musician and not a writer....not the best choice of words. Frogman is much better at writing clearly than I, that's for sure.

Learsfool, "All", of the musicians I stated had good "midfi" stuff, but I thought we were talking "audiofile", and all the everything that goes with that, including, we absolutely must have a good "soundstage", and it took me dedicated years to get that.

What are we talking about?

Enjoy the music.

Somebody done hit the sweetest sweet spot in jazz "Mr. T"; he's made more sweet sounding notes than any other jazz musician, and I ain't gonna take it back. His entire discography is boss, and what I don't got, I'm going to get.

Turrentine received his only formal musical training during his military stint in the mid-'50s. In 1959, he jumped from the frying pan into the fire when he left the military and went straight into the band of the great drummer Max Roach.

He married the organist Shirley Scott in 1960 and the two frequently played and recorded together. In the 1960s, he started working with organist Jimmy Smith, and made many soul jazz recordings both with Smith and as a leader.

In the 1970s, after his professional split and divorce from Scott, Turrentine turned to jazz fusion and signed for Creed Taylor's CTI label. His first album for CTI, Sugar proved one of his biggest successes and a seminal recording for the label. He worked with Freddie Hubbard, Milt Jackson, George Benson, Bob James, Richard Tee, Idris Muhammad, Ron Carter, Grant Green and Eric Gale, to name a few. He returned to soul jazz in the 1980s and into the 1990s.

Turrentine lived in Fort Washington, Maryland from the early 90s until his death.

He died of a stroke in New York City on September 12, 2000 and is buried in Pittsburgh's Allegheny Cemetery.

Although I like every cut on that album "Salt Song", this has got to be my favorite; it pictures someone who's done everything humanly possible to resolve a difficult situation, now there nothing left to do but "Tell Jesus".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JP6JRv7k0

Enjoy the music.
Frog, I just found an Ike Quebec record at Goodwill.
He sounds pretty good to me.

Rok, I was just looking at some old DVD.s of Miami Vice, and who should I see but "Miles" as Ivory Jones, a pimp. I just can not get away from that guy; him and his aunt Corrine are playing games with me.