Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Might also want to check out the Chord Blu Mk 2 for the DAVE. New CD transport that can be used as a digital upscaler and is designed to work with DAVE.  Supposedly significantly increases performance of DAVE (per the designer and some in Asia that have heard it).  I have a DAVE and have one on order.  Ships to US June.  Good luck.
what are you doing in regards to electrical noise for the Dave & others?
The synergy of digital set ups with other components in the chain has a such huge impact on the end product.  For example, I can say the Dave fed by Lumin U1, going direct to Soulution 511 monos pushing Magico M3s (my digital system) certainly does not lack layers, note decay or coherence.  The sound is unbelievable and I would say the Dave excels in all these areas and will crush DACs much more expensive in sound quality.  But what cstooner may hear in his system or Matt in his, with their components etc, it can be very different.  
That can happen in all digital systems.  I have heard the DAVE in my own as well as two others and have heard the same thing.  No coherency.  I asked another very well known and respected DAC designer about the DAVE and he said that it does a few things really good, but overall sounds the way that Matt has posted.  

Again, we all hear differently.  
Uhh ok.  I guess all the others across the world are wrong about the Dave and you are right.  It basically does a couple of good things and otherwise sucks.  Lol.  IMO this is why a few anecdotal statements on a message board in isolation are basically useless.  Look at the body of reviews and experiences, and make your own mind up.