Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
"But I see no reason to give credence to vague statements (teenager? Does a couple of things well?) that don't square up with those of very experienced listeners I know and trust, not to mention my own and the general consensus of experts around the globe.  Leads me to question the foundation (i.e. accuracy) of said opinions.  Also, if you have truly been looking for a refererence red book DAC for 3 years and can't find one, that is truly bizarre.  There are many good ones out there."

You obviously haven't kept up with this thread or gone back to read most of the last few pages. The statement 'does a few things well' is a quote from a DAC designer of one of the better rated DAC's in the world.  I have mentioned things I personally don't love about the DAVE, but have said it's still a good DAC for some.  Just not for me and I've heard it plenty to know that.  Its not like I heard it at a show (don't attend shows) where it will never sound it's best.  As for 'experts', I've addressed that a few posts above.  I trust my own ears and others should trust theirs.  

I realize that folks live in areas where they can't go audition a lot of stuff.  That's difficult, but when spending money like this on gear and not hear it first is a personal choice.  Not one that I'd normally make, but I DID buy my first ever component based on Matt's and one other's recommendation.  I bought the ODSE/SE used from another poster on this thread.   It turned out to be a great move on my part.  I also paid exactly what I knew I could turn around and resell it for if I didn't like it.  I knew Matt personally by then and knew his ear enough to realize that we are close in our listening, but more important, I knew where we differ.  

I never have, nor do I care if I 'square up with those of very experienced listeners I know and trust, not to mention my own and the general consensus of experts around the globe.  Leads me to question the foundation (i.e. accuracy) of said opinions."

If you feel that you need to have your listening validated by others, then go for it.  I know many who are into that and that's cool too. I've made a few enemies posting in this thread and on boards in general as I have no filters.  I have also made a few good friends on this thread.  Guys I really enjoy meeting up with and talking to. 

Matt, we need to talk about electrical as I'm bringing in an electrician and I'm going to run new dedicated lines.  
Matt, Curious what rack or platform, footers, and PCs you are using when comparing DACs. Are you holding those variables constant, or tweaking to find the best result for each application?  I have found that for some components these tweaks can make very meaningful differences, and at your high level of performance could possibly erase some of the minor distinctions between DACs.
Ctsooner, you have made "enimies" talking about audio gear?  Wow.  Not sure how that is possible but, ok, maybe some take this a little too far.  Point is, not sure I would trust your opinion on this or the opinion of the competitor designer whoever he or she is (that is a polite way of saying, I don't).  And not sure anyone else should either.   Like you say, listen for yourself.  And I certainly do not need your validation.  Hopefully we are not enemies now.  I don't think I have any at the moment, lol.
Dgarretson- you bring up a good point.

2 ways to compare:

1) keep everything absolutely consistent and change 1 and only 1 variable.
2) do what needs to be done with each item to allow each to shine as much as it can.

I sort of do both but lean heavily more toward the first. I can’t compare fairly with anything that would change the sound (i.e. Different power cords, interconnects, power conditioning). But I have no problem tweaking vibration control and such (of course that changes the sound also, but it's just helping the untinsound its best). I use my top tier Adona racks and typically put Stillpoint Ultra 5’s under the DAC’s to isolate. I find they are crazy good (although crazy expensive). I think I will eventually go for an all Stillpoints rack. But for now my Adonna is excellent. Also, my room is sitting on concrete in a quiet suburb with very few homes on very many acres of land. So micro-vibration is well controlled and macro vibration rarely exists.

CTSooner and Wardl - I have officially ended you guys. Enough. Give each other an audiophile man hug, agree to disagree and keep the conversation to the topic please. Thank you. Your Welcome. :)