Class D = Trash?

So, I'm on my second class D amp. The first one, a Teac AI-301DA which claimed to use an ICE module, was unlistenable trash. I burned it in for a few weeks, it just couldn't perform, so I sent it back. Following that, I tried the new Emotiva A-300 (class A/B). It was significantly better, but lacking in too many ways for my tastes. So I changed gears, got an 845 SET from China -- and it was an immediate and massive improvement.

So, before I went further down the SET road, I wanted to try a better class D product using a modern class D module. I settled on the D-Sonic M3-800S with the Pascal module and custom input stage. I read from reviews that these things like to have big cables, so I picked up an eBay 8 gauge power cable (Maze Audio, el-cheapo Oyaide copy plugs, braided 4-wire cable) to go along with it.

Mid-range GONE.
Soundstage depth CRUSHED.
Euphonics DISAPPEARED.

Yes, resolution went up. Driver control went up, allowing me to play compressed rock/pop and orchestra with the speakers being able to render it all. But enjoyment in the sound is basically gone. Using my best power cable (LessLoss Original) improved performance, but didn't fundamentally change the amp's nature. I ran back to my headphones (Focal Utopias) to detox my ear canals.

So, how long does a class D need to burn-in? I want to give it a fair shake before writing the technology off forever. 
madavid0
So it is quite possible both the Technics and NAD M2 use ICEedge at their core, with the Technics having the most advanced correction system.

Cool stuff.
Most likely to sell them at $30k each to gullible buyers. that believe higher switching frequencies amps actually sound better than the $630-$3,000 competition , and have more dollars than sense.
Head in sand ,forest through trees.

Like I said protective owners like yourself will be one of the first to change, to higher switching frequencies when it becomes main stream. Even though at the moment they are blindly bagging it.
All your doing at the moment is trying to protecting your investment so it won’t take a monitory nose dive when this new technology becomes mainstream and finally puts Class-D into the hi-end Audio bracket, with today’s great linear amps
Keep that finger on the sell button and press it before they become obsolete.

Cheers George
So it is quite possible both the Technics use ICEedge at their core.

If your saying that they used a "similar" topology as Ice, that maybe possible.
But I doubt very much that Technics is using Ice modules or anything from Ice, even licensing permission, as they have always used their own development technology, and never relied on anyone else.

Cheers George  
Hi George,
      I think you're seriously under-estimating the performance of the many current good class D amps using switching frequencies around 5oo kHz.  I say this based on my personal experiences with 3 different class D amps over the past 3 years. 
      Since you've repeatedly refused. or are unable, to answer my pertinent questions of "how many current class D amps you've listened to?" and "What are the telltale audible signs that result from switching frequencies being too low and affecting the audible range?", I now have a new theory about why you continually make this claim without anything close to scientific or even subjective or anecdotal evidence:

I now believe you are the sort that enjoys reading and learning about audio technology and equipment but also one that has very little to no actual experience of listening to audio equipment employing newer technology.  This is the only conclusion I'm able to reach given your apparent lack of knowledge about how good some current class D amps perform utilizing supposedly switching frequencies that are too low and your total lack of responses concerning what your theorized affects on the audible range actually sound like.
   There's also the matter of you seriously over-estimating the improvements that will result from using higher switching frequencies in the 3-5 mHz range.  I think the new faster switching FETs are more likely to improve class D performance than higher switching frequencies.

Later,
  Tim   

sorry to see you joy gone with class D,

when you purchase single-ended 845 amp,

send me class D.

THANKS.