Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

I thought a one-worlder like yourself, would like these. I am almost certain you have heard them before, but they are worth a second listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6d60ysb-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWFxFg7-GU

The entire CD is good. Comes with a DvD. But more tunes on the CD.

Cheers

Schubert, not too long ago, there were no LP's or CD's by Ike available. I got a store owner to make a tape from his LP. After that, no CD's were available, I had to pay $35. for an LP, when I wasn't even into vinyl. As you can tell, I'm 100% into Ike Quebec; I just wanted you to know how the music world goes in circles.

Enjoy the music.

Ike Quebec died January 16, 1963; "Heavy Soul", my favorite album by Ike was recorded November 26, 1961, although it was not released until 62. I've forgotten my source, but they had gotten the news that Ike had lung cancer when they recorded this; listen at how sad, but beautiful, Freddy Roach's organ sounds on almost all the cuts. Can you imagine them recording this album with the knowledge Ike wouldn't be with them much longer. It's impossible for something like that to not come through in the music; listen for it on your copy.

I purchased the album at the end of the summer in 62, I know this because I recall "Heavy Soul" coming on like a cool breeze at the end of a hot summer day. This was an album I played repeatedly for a long time; especially during the winter of 63.

Enjoy the music.
Hi O-10 - my point is that all professional musicians must have a variety of equipment to listen to music on quite early in life (while students). A healthy percentage will have at least good mid-fi equipment, figuring since they have to have something, might as well get something at least decent. I had most of the mid-fi system I mentioned before I graduated college (and how I wish I had bought many more records back then, sigh). Again, this percentage would be quite a bit higher than in any other profession (quite often, the main concern of music students from my generation and earlier and long after, when choosing a living space, was where were the speakers going to go - some settled for bookshelves, or just used headphones, but a great many of us had to have floorstanders). And later on, another healthy percentage of those musicians who can afford it will also go on to purchase high end equipment, at a higher rate than non-musicians. A musician's priorities in choosing what equipment they use are often quite different from most "audiophiles," but a large number of them, no matter what kind of music they play, love to have great sounding systems to listen to when they are not working. There is a perception here on this board in particular that musicians do not care about or understand high end audio - not only is this simply not true, it really doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Why this untruth is so widespread here despite being contradicted by every actual musician on this board is a continuing mystery to me, and a fascinating one. I have several different theories, but this is not the place for them. You asked what I was talking about - I have answered. Now let's get back to the jazz. As I said, this is the best thread on any audio forum on the web - I have learned a great deal and been exposed to many players I had not heard before. You are to be commended for starting it, sir!