Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, here's a very good description;

A jazz fusion supergroup comprising bassist John Pattatucci, keyboardist T Lavitz, drummer Dave Weckl, electric violinist Jerry Goodman, and guitarists Frank Gambale and Steve Morse. School of the Arts throws everything into the pot: jazz, rock, blues, country, Latin, and classical, but this wide-ranging eclecticism works remarkably well. This is due primarily to the staggering technical expertise of the musicians involved. While there's no shortage of chops (as amply demonstrated on the solo passages on the tunes "On Fire" and "Fairweather Green," for example), there's also an impressive interplay and sympathy, making SCHOOL OF THE ARTS a fusion lover's dream come true.

They remind me of Jean Luc Ponty's group in a super groove.

Enjoy the music.

In regard to the bigger questions that have consistently been raised on this thread, such as old jazz VS new jazz, I think each individual will have to answer that question for themselves.

With me, it's all music, and the "old stuff" that's locked in a vault, shall remain there; any new music does not necessarily have to fall into a "genre", but can fall into one of two categories; "like", and "don't like".

Enjoy the music.
O -
Yes - I had read that description somewhere (Amazon?).  Didn't want to prejudice the game by advertising it as a "fusion" clip.  The technical proficiency of the musicians in/on School of the Arts is very high.  I personally am taken with Terry Lavitz piano work.  He's new to me (I never followed the Dixie Dregs).  I also like what Jerry Goodman brings and the fact the guitars are acoustic.  This SotA recording is "organic" sounding in the absence of a less overused description and musical.  Not a "wood chopper's ball" as can sometimes be the case in fusion.

BUT the big question is which of those two categories does it fall in for you? 
Post removed