Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O - my question about which of the two categories School of the Arts fell in for you was simply about whether you liked it or not.  Sounds like you do like it.  

Appreciate the vote of confidence on that 100 Jazz LP list.  I was surprised how many I was at least somewhat familiar with.  There's hope yet :-)
Right you are O-10, I should have made it clear that I was thinking of public 
in general on Anita, not folks on here .
Welcome back, O-10.  Hope all is well.

Ghosthouse, I like the "School Of The Arts" clip, thanks.  I like it for reasons that don't always come into play for me when I listen to something.  You mention T Lavitz.  Like you, I have always liked his playing.  You may find a little background of interest:

First, I think I posted something by The Dregs a while back around the time that you first started posting on the thread.  I think I posted it to get your reaction to Steve Morse, but I don't remember if you commented on the clip.  

I knew T Lavitz when we were both attending the University of Miami School of Music.  He was a saxophone student and piano was a secondary interest; although his talent on piano was obvious.  He later decided to concentrate on the piano.  Some of the original members (not Lavitz) of what was then the University of Miami "Rock Ensemble" went on to found The Dixie Dregs.  T Lavitz was an extraordinarily talented guy with a very wide musical range.  "School Of The Arts" was unfortunately one of his last projects.  

That project is undoubtedly a fusion project attitude-wise; with the interesting twist, as you point out, that most of the instruments are acoustic.  One of the reasons I find it interesting and like it (with some qualifications) is that I like it even though it flies in the face of some of the things that are usually requirements for my liking music and what would normally be needed for music to sound "organic" as you say.  First, T Lavitz wrote all the music....ALL THE MUSIC....EVERY NOTE, including the solos.  It was all through-composed.  Beyond that, the musicians were not only never in the same room, but were in different parts of the country and in this time of file sharing and home studios they each performed their respective parts alone and as written and sent to them by Lavitz.  One could say that, eventhough these are virtuoso players, the last bit of musician interaction is not there compared to other projects; interaction that results in more spontaneity and deeper grooves, but it's pretty darn good in those regards and it's the concept that carries the day in my opinion.  High energy stuff with lots of twists and turns performed at, as you say, a very high level of proficiency.  Lavitz was a very interesting guy who was a jazz player with a rock player's attitude.  It might also be interesting to note that his previous (I think) band was called "Jazz Is Dead".
Hello Frogman. That is some VERY interesting background on SofA and Terry Lavitz. SofA as a recording did not strike me like the usual fusion fare - though it is clearly fusion. I’d be interested in reading more about your personal reasons for liking it. Feel free to PM me if you are concerned about taking up space here.

I had no idea TL wrote all the compositions...even the solos OR that the recording wasn’t done in a single studio/group setting. No offense intended but how did you learn this? On balance those aspects might account for its more ("tempered"?) feel...a good thing, in my mind. I wonder about the reasoning behind doing things that way. (Conflicting schedules is understandable for some of it.) It also makes me wonder about how fantastic hearing them live would have been assuming space allowed for improvisation in that setting. Either way, my appreciation of TL’s talents went up several notches.

I’ll see if I can find your previous posts about the Dregs. I’m not recalling it, although I do know the Steve Morse name and maybe his sound. Some of these guys, TOO MANY NOTES!. Maybe wrong pinning that on Morse, if not fusion guitarists as a stereotype. I’m no expert on him but to my sensibilities, Gambale is generally pretty tasteful.

I did read the Wiki entry on Lavitz, so knew his connection with the Dregs...at several different times, apparently. Also heard of his "Jazz Is Dead" outfit. Love the humor. Need to check that out. Not a huge Deadhead (not even a small one) but Skull & Roses, Workingman’s Dead & American Beauty ARE excellent.

If you don’t know it, stumbled onto an old John Mayall recording...Jazz Blues Fusion Live in Boston & New York. 1971. A very good live recording...music, musicianship and sound quality. Never heard of him previously but a Freddy Robinson (later, Abu Talib) is lead guitar. Talk about tasteful. Very very nice stuff.

Funny coincidence is that my bro-in-law (studio, Hammond organ, musician) had met TL years ago. Leant him a keyboard. Not the same as going to school with the guy of course.

Ciao