Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus - 
What I wrote was a real stripped down, simplified version of the far more complex history of the blues.  Written almost facetiously - though there's truth in it.  The roots of the "song form" date back to early on in the last century and probably well before that.  The blues absolutely derive from an oral tradition.  Thank God for Alan Lomax preserving some of that.  I don't find anything too profound in Rok's statement.  This is well-documented music history, not the product of some "authority" pontificating in a locked, ivory tower cell somewhere.  AND I was talking about what I hear(d) - my listening - that shaped a lot of my music preferences WAY before I even knew there was something called "the blues".  Jazz-wise, I defer to your knowledge.  Blues?  I will be guided by my own lights, thank you.     

"...so much of it is the same music with different words."  Yeah, it can be kind of formulaic (there's even a standard music theory structure for "a blues"!) but the blues don't have to always sound the same...and they DON'T.  I'm inclined to think some of the sameness reflects a kind of dumbing down and catering to a mass market (maybe).   Listen to enough B.B. King's Bluesville and it sometimes sounds like the same song on repeat.  Regardless, it's pretty clear to me jazz offers a lot more creative options...a bigger palette and more colors in the paint box.  Personal preference though?  Most days I'll be picking the blues 5 to 1.  

Post removed 
PS -
"Blues, Jazz, Fusion; what shall it be?"

How about all the above?

Hey O - Thanks for the Jean Luc Ponty Cosmic Messenger link.  I had saved that album to Spotify or Tidal a while ago.  Tried to listen and didn't care for it too much.  Just sounded dated and uninteresting.  Now tonight, this track (at least) I'm finding more agreeable.  

Re Mahavishnu, I think "visionary" is an apt term for them.  I blow hot and cold on 'em.  Sometimes that music is just too amped up and discordant; can find no rest there.   You realize Jerry Goodman from MO is also on that School of the Arts recording.  

Ghosthouse, I go back to the time when I bought the album, and I'm surrounded by the memories of that time when "Mahavishnu" was hot. No, I don't have it on my "playlist"; that's reserved for some of the cuts off the best 100 jazz LP's or similar.

Fusion sounds good once in a blue moon but not on a consistent basis. The title "Cosmic Messenger" says it all; we're in outer stellar space or someplace only your imagination can take you.

Most good "jazz" is about human beings and things you can relate to; while good fusion is for exercising your tweeters, and imagination. Personally I prefer to get into one zone at a time.

Rok, knew cotton fields, juke joints, and the people who made the blues, while others wrote and observed from afar; especially when you're talking about the "Delta Blues". I could always read between the lines of what Rok wrote and that's where the foundation of the blues lies. That's why I proposed a work shop of sorts, to define what the "Blues" is to us individually; otherwise it's quite ambiguous.