If you had to choose between Okki-Nokki and Pro-Ject record cleaners....

Hi all,

I am going to return my sub-woofer to the hifi store where I bought it... after repeated A/B comparisons with and without, I find that I just don't need it.

So I am going to ask for store credit.   Depending on how much credit I get, I might get a better record cleaner than the Spin-Clean that I have now.      The store carries the Okki-Nokki and Pro-Ject machines, so I wanted to ask what you all thought about the differences (if any) between the two.

I am not really satisfied with the Spin-Clean.    I have tried various fluids, also just used distilled water alone, and used various iterations of number of forward and backward rotations.... everything I have read to do in the various Spin-Clean-related threads.      It gets my records cleaner, but not totally clean.   I still get a lot of pops and crackles.

I keep the records in anti-static inner sleeves after I clean them, and I use a Milty Zero-Stat using all the various methods described in the Zero-Stat-related threads, before playing and after cleaning.    Still the pops and crackles, even with my brand-new Janos Starker Bach Cello Suites record (although not as much as with my older records), even after cleaning.

So I am hoping that a better cleaning method will eliminate the pops and crackels and since the local store only carries those two machines, I wanted to check and see if anybody has experiences with either, or both.

If neither machine will be an excellent solution, I will probably use my store credit on something else and keep looking for a better method to clean thoroughly my records.

For the record, my system is:

Music-Hall MMF-5.3 turntable with Ortofon Blue cartridge and Herbie's TT mat
Music-Hall a15.3 integrated amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 686 S2 speakers

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA

ezwicky
@ezwicky;
okki-nokki is better value.
at $500 all you can get from nitty gritty will be a fully manual cleaner.
turning records by hand is a right pia and a quick way to rsi.
as with all platter based rcm you don't want to put your dirty record down on a clean platter so put a piece of card or paper (cut to fit) on the platter before cleaning side 1, then remove the paper when you reposition the record for side 2.
@mambacfa: I am not 100% sure that I do not have *any* static, but I do notice a difference after changing my method of cleaning, therefore I am sure that cleaning has a significant effect, and that I can further refine the cleaning process so as to take it out of the noise equation. Also, I am not sure what else I can do in order to reduce or prevent static. After cleaning a record, I use the Milty Zero-Stat, then insert it into an anti-static sleeve. The when I go to play it, I use the Zero-Stat again, followed by a few passes with a carbon brush while it’s on the platter.

@audio_d: Thanks for that advice, it makes sense. Thanks to the other guys who replied as well. Okki-Nokki seems well-regarded!

So for now, I altered my cleaning method and it seems to have made a positive difference. I put a record on the mat that came with my TT (I upgraded to a Herbie’s Way-Excellent mat) on a towel on the coffee table. Then I sprinkle it with Nitty-Gritty record-cleaning solution (just because I have some on-hand from the hifi store). Then I use one of these painting pads...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SHUR-LINE-Edger-Pad-Refill/50369768

... and spread the solution into the grooves, in a clock-wise direction, not using too much pressure, just enough so that I am sure the bristles are getting down into the grooves. Then after several passes with a back-and-forth motion, I flip the record over (yes the newly-cleaned side is now sitting on the mat) and do the other side. Then I do a final scrub/rinse in the Spin-Clean with just distilled water. Then I dry with cotton cloths and air-dry on a dish rack for an hour.

I have noticed an improvement over just the Spin-Clean, with this method. I think the next step upward would be to vacuum the record after the spin-clean rinse. But for now, I am mostly happy with the results. At some point I will get a proper RCM and I thank you all for your input!

Eric

I would definitely recommend moving forward and getting a RCM with vacuum capabilities. I have recently upgraded (substantially) my RCM. I had used the Okki Nokki for a few years before upgrading, and I went with it because dollar for dollar it seemed the best value. I really liked the  forward and reverse feature. A few minor issues though, and they are not huge: 1) Its is fairly loud  2) the full platter, so that when you clean one side and flip it over to do the other side you are laying your freshly cleaned side directly on the platter. 3) the hold down clamp has a small outside diameter. It does not cover the label, so when you spray your cleaner on the LP you risk wetting the paper. I solved this by simply cutting a disk from an empty windshield washer jug and drilling a spindle hole in the centre. Just place that on the label before the clamp goes on, and the label is protected.

I think once you do get a new RCM you will be glad you did.

Good luck Erik

Thanks Eddy. What did you upgrade to, after the Okki-Nokki?

Also, nice shovelhead (I think... hard to tell from the small pic but looks like a pan bottom-end with a shovel top... I had the same setup in the ’80s).

Hi Erik. It's a 56 panhead (slightly modified HAHAHA)

I went up to the Clear Audio Double Matrix Pro Sonic. It is a fabulous RCM, with a price tag to match!!! I am primarily a vinyl listener, and my collection is quite valuable to me, so the cost of the Clear Audio was justified as I deem it to be a good maintenance tool to ensure long/clean/quiet life to my precious albums