Looking for a Phono pre around 1K

Hey all,
My system,
VPI hw-19 mkIII, premier mmt arm, Ortofon bronze 2m, Yaqin 100b KT-88 push pull, Focal 1008be2
I've had :
Cambridge audio 640p that I modded (power supply, opamp sockets, ) 
Sound: ok , not much soundstage or detail
Yaqin ms23b tube. 
Sound; more soundstage, better delineation of vocals and room ambience, still sounds a bit muffled/recessed.

I know those are on the inexpensive side, but after upgrading my speakers to the Focals. I'm hearing hints of things in the recordings that, I'm positive, with a better phono pre could be more fleshed out.

I listen to mainly rock/pop (Bowie, Stones, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Carly Simon, jazz)

If I could stay under 1K that would be great.

I'd like more definition, without losing the sweetness of tubes, I know I don't have any tube stages on there but…
I'd like the ability to use a MC cart as well 9I have a Denon 160)
My list so far:
Musical Fidelity - MX-VYNL Mm/Mc
Sutherland - Insight Phono Preamplifier
Musical Surroundings - Nova II
PS Audio Phono Converter (would be great to rip the records)

Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks
mdelrossi1
Out of the stages you mentioned I have experience with two of the Brands.

Sutherland - Insight Phono Preamplifier
Musical Surroundings - Nova II

I own the Musical Surroundings Nova Phonoema I (1200new/500 used). I also have heard and compared directly with the Sutherland PHD (3k new/used 1500).

Honestly the MS stood up pretty well to the more expensive Sutherland. The MS is much more neutral and balanced throughout. It had more of a tight snappy bass. 

Sutherland was warmer and had a more round bass that sounds a little slower. It did seem to bring voices slightly out of the mix more so than the MS. It might of had a tiny bit more detail.

I have also compared the MS to a 3k Ayre phono. Let me just say the MS phono is a lot of bang for the buck and is quiet as some of these phono stages double the price. It also has more loading options and can handle just about any cartridge. Further I don't think the battery adds that much performance for me or others (from the forums I have read).

It soundstaging, loading options and quietness is right up there with 3k units. I think you may get a little bit more detail and maybe a tonal balance you like more going with 3k units but it really didn't seem worth the price to me. Just my thoughts. 
Hear, hear schubert! I am not familiar with Van Alstine's "Vision", but in the 80's I had his redesigned Dynaco PAS, and it was better than my ARC SP-3!
darkstar1
I own the Musical Surroundings Nova Phonoema I (1200new/500 used). I also have heard and compared directly with the Sutherland PHD (3k new/used 1500).

Honestly the MS stood up pretty well to the more expensive Sutherland. The MS is much more neutral and balanced throughout. It had more of a tight snappy bass.

Sutherland was warmer and had a more round bass that sounds a little slower. It did seem to bring voices slightly out of the mix more so than the MS. It might of had a tiny bit more detail.

I am not sure why darkstar1 found the Sutherland Ph3D's sound the way he described it. Could be several reasons but in any event I have spent considerable time with that Sutherland piece and always found it to be quite revealing, very fast and accurate.  I just sold my unit several months ago for $600 on A/G.  It was configured as an AC unit with the hardware to convert it to battery power.  The only reason that I parted with it was that I acquired the Sutherland N1 Preamplifier, a complete phono/line stage device of exceptional build and sonic quality.
I suppose any choice will be dependent on your personal preferences and associated equipment.  +1 for Sutherland
bdp24

Pas 3 design is cleanest ever in audio . I heard a home-built PAS 3 with the best mod boards available , best connectors, silver wiring, all encased in a
lovely aluminum case with only volume and source knobs .
Cleanest , most natural sound I ever heard , not a trace of "hi fi" .
Tubes were Sylvania 12AX7 grey plates pulled from a Baldwin organ
and Sylvania 12x4 rectifer.
With Pas every time you switch 12Ax7’s you have a new preamp .
Jolida Jd9.
absolutely superb. Use a MC cartridge. Preamp TRL The Dude, Sota V TT, OL Illustrious arm and it doesn't embarrass itself in this vaunted company.
replaces an EAR phono,preamp and I don't hear a deficit!

Try the Jolida.