Converting Solid State to Tube Rectification on a Preamp

I am looking to convert my Preamp from a Bridge Rectifier to a Tube Rectifier.  Any members have done or knows how to do this. Your help are much appreciated!

128x128zipost

you may gain some degree of reliability with tubes powered up softer than with typical bridge rectifier, but the pulsation will be with larger amplitude... imho going from half-wave rectifier to full-wave rectifier not going to be beneficial.

What preamp do you have?  I have switched back and forth on several preamps from solid state to tube rectifier, but each of them was a DIY unit where I had intended to have this flexibility when I built it.  A commercial preamp with solid state rectifiers may not be as easy to modify.  For example, you need a power supply for the heaters of the tube rectifier.  An all solid state preamp is not likely to have this capability.  A tube preamp will already have a 6v or 12v supply which might be able to supply the voltage needed for a tube rectifier, but it may not have the current capability to handle a rectifier tube as well as the signal tubes.  If the preamp has a 6v supply and has enough current capability, you could theoretically use a 6v indirectly heated rectifier tube such as a 6X4, but the resulting B+ voltage will be lower than with a solid state rectifier.  That may or may not be a problem.

Of course, if you have the skills to build an outboard power supply for your preamp, you can basically build anything you want.  You can use a different power transformer that has a slightly higher voltage output to account for the losses with a tube rectifier, and the new transformer can have the proper voltages for the rectifier tube as well as signal tubes. 
By the way, a typical tube rectified power supply uses a dual-element rectifier tube and a power transformer with a center-tap secondary wiring.  This is a full-wave rectifier.  A solid state power supply often uses a full-wave-bridge (4 diodes) that can be fed by a power supply winding that does not have a center-tap.  This allows some savings in transformer cost.  But both types of power supplies are full-wave.  So the issue is not full-wave vs. half-wave.

@salectric

I might be lost in translations, but full-wave bridge superposes 4x(as signal is phase split by 180deg) half-waves thus pulsation is substantially smoother than to the conventional full-wave method or tube rectification. Literally saying that you’re dealing with 4 superposed half-waves as opposed to 2 superposed half-waves.

Pulsation of bridge is nearly 4 times lower in magnitude and closer to the perfect DC.