Your Nominations: Top Phono Stages under $1,000

Replacing a Pro-Ject Tube Box ll...New table and cart: VPI Scout 1.1 with Ortofon 2M Black. Can I make a significant improvement and spend less then $1K?
larseand
"A used Fosgate Signature phono stage. All tube and supports MC cartridges. It is an excellent sounding phono stages and goes for around a thousand used."

lostbears- really,around $1K?!!  I have the V.2  purchased new 6 year ago.
Got mine for $2k. Great unit which I preferred over another popular model-Manley Chinook. I see those go as low as  $1400ish.

I hate to face the reality of most audio gear-this stuff just doesn't hold value!
Great for the buyer.

Addressing the recommendation- look for the the V.2 model. It doesn't have the cheesy blue lights under the tubes, and circuit improvements over the V1.
True all tube-rectifier included. No step up Xfrmr-active gain for LOMC.
No, those 2 cans aren't step up transformers.
Surprisingly quiet, but not like the Manley, which does have a transistor is the gain path. 

Dynavector P75, I have one that I used for 5-6 months. I would let it go for $400.

$1000. to $1200. I saw one go for $900 not that long ago. An excellent phono stage for that kind of money.

Vincent pho-700 with a nice, affordable, vintage rca clear top tube...very nice.
$900!!  Ouch, I'm never selling mine! That's a great buy. An even better buy for the 3rd owner if it were sold. I'm curious if the right compnents were upgraded, 
could the Foz sing a tad sweeter?

With a tube swap and power cord,the Foz will convince most ears tubes are the only way to hear a record. I'm sure a 5k unit is yet another step up, but the 
diminishing returns factor becomes quite apparent, especially in the wallet.