Which of the new 4K Recievers do you prefer?

I’m looking for a new receiver for my home theater system. I have been using a Denon 5803 for years and I think it has very good sound quality and power. But, its an older model that I use the 7.1 analog inputs.

Now that I have the new Oppo 205 I would like to take advantage of using HMDI connections along with the Atmos overhead channels.

I would like one with about 150 RMS / channel, dual subwoofer outputs and has at least front channel preamp outputs. Sound quality is important. Video quality is less important because I run the Oppo direct to my 85" UHD Samsung.

Price around $1500-$2500+

Appreciate any help.

ozzy

128x128ozzy
If you want a higher end Unit, the Acurus AV ACT 4 Are of the league in terms of SQ and Userbility. The unit can do 7.3.6 and soon with a firmware upgrade it will do 9.3.4

The DAC in the 205 is excellent.  If you use HDMI output from the 205 you will be using whatever DAC is in the unit connected to the 205 via HDMI, and that may not be as good, especially in a lower priced AVR.  At least for the front LR, you might consider using the analog output of the 205.  There are a number of choices in the Oppo menu that accommodate this, and you might visit the 205 owners' thread at AVS.  Bob is especially helpful.

db

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

dbphd,

You hit the nail on the head! Perhaps I am still better off using the Oppo 205 7.1 analog outs to the Denon. The sound quality is very good. Actually much better than with my previous Oppo 95.

Using the HDMI may get me the Atmos sound ability but it would involve the utilization of perhaps a inferior dac in a receiver. Good point.

ozzy

I just bought a Yamaha RX-V781. My new projector hasn't shown up yet, so I can't speak to it's 4k performance, but it works great with a decent set of speakers and a 1080p tv...

wdouglass,

Thanks,

There was a Yamaha on my short list. Not sure if it was the RX-V781 though.

ozzy