Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, my DAVE has made that static sound once or twice after burning in letting it play for a number of days straight.  I never turn mine off.  Was a little disturbed.  But each time I unplugged it and it was fine after that.  It hasn't happened any more since I stopped playing for days in a row.  And I still leave on all the time.
Welp. If it happens with the new one I'll decide. This one is back with Chord. 

Thanks for the info thiugh. That was VERY useful!!
wow, I wonder if they had a bad run or something.  I remember reading about something like this over on CA in a thread.  It wasn't a DAVE thread, but talking about something else.  

Guys, I have a question.  What is the advantage of keeping the gear on all the time instead of the normal standby modes (my Ayre is all standby)?  How much money does it cost to keep the gear running (I understand it's all different due to watts pulled etc) on average?

I know that start up is the toughest on components, but anything in these price ranges should have been engineered to not have problems over time with basic start up function hurting the unit in any way.  Just curious.  thanks.

Hi ctsooner, there is no "average"  monthly cost for keeping a system fully powered up 24/7. It depends entirely on the current draw. In the late 1990s I kept my old Rowland M7 high bias 350W monoblocks running at full power for some three weeks in Austin (TX). The overage on my AC bill came to about $15. These days I keep my system at full power all the time, including the Rowland M925 430W class D monos, and my montly electric bill is minimal... Wife never complains.

But leaving the system at full power is not purely a matter of minimizing system stress during rapid thermal excursions.... I have experienced with my gear over the years that it takes a couple of hours to up to a couple days for a system to reach peak performance... That is running at full power, and grinding some audio signal. Even if fully powered up, the first CD I play after a few days of inactivity ends up serving as "warm up".... The second CD, is quite nice, and by the third one the system is glowing with music.

G.

G.

G, thanks.  I did realize about current draw, but your answer put it into better perspective for me.  I am trying like heck to watch what we use and I have installed LED bulbs everywhere in the house and am about to put them in my wood shop too.  I've noticed my bill drop a fair amount which is nice.  Even coming out of standby, I notice a fair large difference in the size of the sound stage and even tonality.  I have left my Ayre pieces on full time during burn in and have been burning in my Vandersteen Quatro's 24/7.  Since it's not burned in yet, I don't know if it's leaving the amps on full time or the break in, but it's probably both.  It's really starting to sing.  

I think I'll try leaving them on since it seems to be better for them, but even with the the stress of on and off, there shouldn't ever be a problem with the amps.  Greatly appreciate your response. Thanks so much.

On a side note, I thank everyone for this thread and not JUST Matt, lol.  I've learned so much or had opinions strengthened by so many of you.  Thanks for letting me play in this league.